Solving a Physics Problem with Jetliner Takeoff Speed - Casey's Story

In summary, Jean's watch dangles from a thin piece of string while taking off from Dulles Airport. The takeoff speed is approximately 18 seconds. The vertical component of the tension (T_H) supports the weight of the watch while the horizontal component provides the acceleration force. The vertical component of the tension (T_V) supports the weight of the watch while the horizontal component provides the acceleration force. Newton's 2nd law can be applied to \sum F_{y} to solve for T_y-mg=0 which gives T_y=mg=T\cos23. T_y will cancel if T is broken down into it's components.
Saladsamurai
I am trying to help a friend with this webassign problem:

Jean, who likes physics experiments, dangles her watch from a thin piece of string while the jetliner she is in takes off from Dulles Airport . She notices that the string makes an angle of 23° with respect to the vertical while the aircraft accelerates for takeoff, which takes about 18 seconds. Estimate the takeoff speed of the aircraft.

I just need a kick in the rear to get me started! I know that there is Tension and weight acting on the watch. I know that average a=v/t so average v=at and I know that F=ma
But I am having trouble putting it all together since I do not have any mass or other numbers besides 18s.

Anyone got a hint for me?

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
The vertical component of the tension supports the weight of the watch while the horizontal component provides the acceleration force.

andrevdh said:
The vertical component of the tension supports the weight of the watch while the horizontal component provides the acceleration force.

Right, I am just not sure what to do without T or mg...hmmmm

Try breaking the Tension up into it's components and apply Newton's 2nd law.

odie5533 said:
Try breaking the Tension up into it's components and apply Newton's 2nd law.

Obviously I am missing something big here. I do not have T; if I break it into components, I just get T_x=Tsin23 and T_y=cos23... so by Newton's 2nd get [tex]\sum F_x=ma[/tex] so [tex]T\sin23=ma[/tex]

...I am missing how to use 18 seconds...
...and I don't see how I could cancel anything..arrrgggggghhh:mad:

What am I overlooking?
Casey

Try applying Newton's 2nd law to [tex]\sum F_{y}[/tex] too.

This is actually a neat and useful solution, and simple enough that once you solve it you'll be able to remember it always :)

Last edited:
So...[tex]\sum F_y=0[/tex] -->[tex]T_y-mg=0[/tex] --->[tex]T_y=mg=T\cos23[/tex] so...hey...[tex]m=\frac{T\cos23}{g}[/tex]...looks like T will cancel if I plug that in.

I can't believe that they would give this to a high school student as the first of 15 problems...way to discourage the crap out of a bunch of kids who can't stand physics/math anyway.

I really think they should ease into the assignment a little more. Get these kids brains warmed up.

Christ...I would have given up if it were assigned to me.

thanks for the help,
Casey

the horizontal component of the tension will be

[tex]T_H = T\sin(\theta)[/tex]

and the vertical

[tex]T_V = T\cos(\theta)[/tex]

but the horizontal component need to accelerate the watch

[tex]T_H = ma[/tex]

and the vertical need to cancel the weight

[tex]T_V = mg[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{T_H}{T_V} = \frac{ma}{mg} = \frac{T\sin(\theta)}{T\cos(\theta)} = \tan(\theta)[/tex]

giving

[tex]a = g \ tan(\theta)[/tex]

This can also be solved geometrically:
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1142/accelerometertj0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, but I already solved this in post #7. I was just babbling towards the end there :)

Casey

What is the physics concept behind Casey's story?

The concept at play in Casey's story is Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this case, the net force is the thrust of the jet engines and the mass is the weight of the plane.

How is the takeoff speed of a jetliner determined?

The takeoff speed of a jetliner is determined by several factors, including the weight of the plane, the air density, and the runway length. The pilot must use the appropriate equations and calculations to determine the required thrust and speed needed for a successful takeoff.

What happens if the jetliner's takeoff speed is too low?

If the jetliner's takeoff speed is too low, it will not have enough lift to overcome the force of gravity and the plane will not be able to take off. This can result in a dangerous situation where the plane may not have enough room on the runway to accelerate to the necessary speed, leading to a potential crash.

What other factors can affect the takeoff speed of a jetliner?

Aside from weight, air density, and runway length, other factors that can affect the takeoff speed of a jetliner include weather conditions, such as wind speed and direction, and the condition of the runway surface. These factors must also be taken into consideration by the pilot when determining the appropriate takeoff speed.

Can the takeoff speed of a jetliner be calculated for any given situation?

Yes, the takeoff speed of a jetliner can be calculated for any given situation as long as the necessary information, such as weight, air density, and runway length, is known. This is why pilots must undergo extensive training and have a thorough understanding of physics principles in order to safely operate a jetliner.