What are your sucessful study habits and/or skills?

In summary: I have found that it helps to have some friends that I can go out with and party with after I finish studying. But I have to say that I don't really do that anymore because it's just too hard to maintain the studying attitude when I'm partying.In summary, the student struggles with studying, and recommends that he has discipline, good eating habits, and a regular sleeping schedule in order to succeed.
GirlInDoubt
Hi. I'm a freshmen in college. I am now on christmas Break. During my first quarter, I didn't do very well. I have been cutting class when it is not mandatory (no quiz, midterm, final, attendance,etc), so I will make an effort to attend every single class from now on. However, my biggest problem is that I do not have good study skills. I do not go partying because I want to focus on my studies. But I take so long to do my homework. I feel like my study skills/habits are not good. Can you tell yours? For example, what time of the day do you study (right after class? or after dinner? or after a nap?) Do you take naps? Do you socialize? Do you do other activities such as sports or clubs? And how do you study? Can you give me some studying tips and tell me about your study habits? Thanks so much.

Also, now that technology is in every aspect of our lives, teacher assign homework online. I find it so hard to just not go on youtube or online shopping when homework is assigned online. Do you have assigned homework to do online? If so, how do you resist the temptation of surfing the web? I find that opening no other window other than the homework helps. Can you give me other tips to prevent myself from procrastinating when doing homework online? Nowadays, most teachers assign homework online, which makes it very hard for me to remain focused and on track. *sigh*

Physics news on Phys.org
My major is Biochemical Engineering, and I attend University of California at Davis, if that helps or matters. Thanks so much for your help!

I'm in 2nd year maths degree, i struggle a lot when it comes to getting work done, i often get distracted and just can't be asked with doing math. I used to spend +20 hours a week doing Analysis homework last year and i still got poor marks in it.

I guess you just need to motivate yourself to actually do the work, eliminate the distractions. If you're college has a library or quiet study area, maybe go there to do work, you might find you're more productive if your in a place where you can't get distracted.

Try to keep a regular sleeping pattern, at between 6-8 hours a day. I used go to bed very late and then fall asleep in my lectures, not good. And i found myself working so hard towards exams that i didn't sleep for over 5 days at one point, so don't over do it, leave yourself some time to chill out.

Also a good healthy diet and keeping hydrated is very important also, having a bad diet over a long period of timewill wreck your concentration, sleep, make you feel physically and mentally exhausted.

I found that it is not the smartest people that would get their degree in the end, but the most motivated and organized people. See studying as a full-time job. Take it seriously. Make a long term study plan. Plan study hours every day. Be disciplined. Tell friends that you're not available before 18:00 because you're studying.
Also, hang around with students that have the same attitude towards studying. And have a drink with them when you're done studying for the day.

I understand the importance of developing good study habits and skills in order to be successful in any academic setting. It's great that you have recognized your areas for improvement and are actively seeking advice to improve your study habits.

First of all, attending class regularly is crucial for success in college. It not only allows you to stay on top of the material being taught, but it also helps you to actively engage in class discussions and participate in group activities. I would suggest making a schedule for yourself and treating class time as mandatory, even if there are no quizzes or exams scheduled.

In terms of study habits, I personally find that studying in short bursts throughout the day is more effective than trying to cram all my studying into one long session. I usually review my notes right after class, then take a break and come back to it later in the day. I also make sure to schedule in breaks for meals, exercise, and socializing. It's important to find a balance between studying and taking care of yourself.

When it comes to studying online, I understand the temptation to get distracted by other websites and social media. One tip I have is to create a study-friendly environment by turning off your phone or putting it on silent, and using a website blocker to prevent yourself from accessing distracting websites. You can also try setting a timer for yourself and challenging yourself to stay focused for a certain amount of time before taking a break.

Additionally, it's important to have a designated study space where you can focus and be productive. This could be a quiet corner in your room, a library, or a coffee shop. Find what works best for you and make it a routine to study in that space.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out for help if you're struggling with a particular subject or assignment. Your professors and peers are there to support you and can provide valuable insights and resources.

I hope these tips help and wish you all the best in your academic journey. Remember, developing good study habits and skills takes time and effort, but it will pay off in the long run. Stay focused and stay motivated!

Related to What are your sucessful study habits and/or skills?

1. What are some effective study habits and skills that have helped you succeed?

Some effective study habits and skills that have helped me succeed include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, breaking down large tasks into smaller, manageable chunks, actively engaging with the material by taking notes and asking questions, and regularly reviewing and practicing the material.

2. How do you manage your time effectively while studying?

I manage my time effectively while studying by prioritizing tasks based on importance and urgency, setting specific goals for each study session, and avoiding distractions such as social media and my phone. I also take short breaks every hour or so to maintain focus and avoid burnout.

3. How do you stay organized with your study materials and notes?

I stay organized with my study materials and notes by using a color-coded system for different subjects, keeping a separate notebook or folder for each class, and regularly decluttering and organizing my study space. I also make sure to keep all my notes and materials in one designated place to avoid losing or misplacing them.

4. What techniques do you use to retain information and improve your memory?

To retain information and improve my memory, I use techniques such as creating flashcards, summarizing and rewriting notes, teaching the material to someone else, and using mnemonic devices. I also make sure to get enough sleep and practice good self-care habits, as a well-rested and healthy mind is better able to retain information.

5. How do you handle difficult or challenging course material?

When faced with difficult or challenging course material, I first try to break it down into smaller, easier-to-digest parts. I also utilize resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups to better understand the material. If I am still struggling, I am not afraid to reach out to my professor or TA for extra help and clarification.