Admission requirements for engineering grad programs

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for undergraduate courses on an applicant's transcript for engineering master's programs. The speaker is interested in pursuing a graduate degree in economics and has taken math courses to meet the prerequisites. They are now considering a career in engineering and want to know the necessary undergraduate courses and proficiency in computer programming. The conversation also suggests checking university websites for specific requirements.
I am hoping someone can provide me with some information about what undergraduate courses are typically expected on an applicants transcript for engineering masters programs. I presume the different disciplines of engineering require different classes as prerequisites, so I'd be interested in hearing about them all, if possible.

I have an undergraduate degree in economics and currently work full-time. I made a decision late in undergrad that I wanted to attend grad school for economics, which typically requires Calculus 1-3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra as minimum requirements. These are not classes I ever considered taking until I realized they'd be necessary for something I wanted to achieve, so I decided that it'd be best for me to finish my degree and take these classes while working. So far I have stuck to my plan and am currently enrolled in Calc 2 and find the subject very interesting. I seem to enjoy the engineering applications as much as topics I studied in economics and the type of work engineers do appeals to me. I have just begun to scratch the surface of considering a new path, so I wanted to see what requirements I would be faced with to even enroll in engineering grad programs. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a specific university in mind, then the web sites for its engineering department(s) should give you a good idea what is needed.

The math courses you listed are probably adequate preparation for most master's programs. But just as important will be some undergraduate engineering courses in whatever degree you're pursuing. E.g., if you want a MSEE you'll probably have to bring at least some of the following to the table, depending on what field within EE: signals and systems, probability and random processes, circuit analysis, electromagnetism, communication theory, digital logic/design, etc., etc.

And you will probably need some kind of proficiency with computer programming if you don't already have it. I don't know what language is the standard at universities these days; it was C when I was in school but that was ~20 years ago.

1. What undergraduate degree is required for admission to engineering graduate programs?

Most engineering graduate programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics, or a related field. Some programs may also accept applicants with degrees in other disciplines, but may require them to complete prerequisite courses before starting the program.

2. Are there any specific GPA or test score requirements for admission to engineering grad programs?

Each program may have different requirements for GPA and test scores. Generally, a minimum GPA of 3.0 and competitive scores on standardized tests like the GRE are expected. However, some programs may have higher or lower requirements, so it is important to check with the specific program for their admission criteria.

3. Do I need to have prior work experience in engineering to be admitted to a graduate program?

While some programs may prefer applicants with work experience in the field, it is not always a requirement for admission. Many programs do, however, require applicants to have completed internships or research projects during their undergraduate studies.

4. Is there a specific timeline for applying to engineering grad programs?

Deadlines for engineering grad programs may vary depending on the program and the university. Some programs have a rolling admissions process, while others have specific application deadlines. It is important to check with the program for their specific timeline and to make sure to submit all required materials before the deadline.

5. Are letters of recommendation required for admission to engineering grad programs?

Most engineering grad programs require applicants to submit letters of recommendation from professors or professionals who can speak to their academic abilities and potential for success in the program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can provide strong, detailed letters of support.