Parabola definition parboiling my frontal lobe

In summary, a parabola is a symmetrical curve that resembles an arch and its standard form is y = ax^2 + bx + c. The general equation of second degree must satisfy the condition B^2 - 4AC = 0 in order to represent a parabola, with the only combination in the given table that satisfies this condition being A = 0, B = -ve, and C = +ve. This results in the standard form y = bx^2 + c, with the vertex at the origin.
ngm01
Parabola definition parboiling my frontal lobe!

Homework Statement

The general equation of second degree is Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0. the values of the coefficients in the general eqn. for a parabola shown above could be:

A B C D E F
+ve 0 0 0 +ve 0
-ve 0 0 0 +ve 0
0 0 +ve +ve 0 0
0 0 +ve -ve 0 0 *** This is the combination that works?
0 -ve +ve 0 0 0

Homework Equations

Conic section equation where from the general equation:
B^2 - AC = 0 (Parabola)
B^2-AC < 0 (Ellipse),
B^2-AC > 0 (Hyperbola),
A=C and B=0 (Circle)
A=B=C=0 straight line

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by using the conic section coefficient guide for a parabola and substituted the possible values of the coefficients given in the table above into the conic section equation to try to eliminate a combination that would be a ellipse or hyperbola and the infer by the process of elimination that..." Aha these coefficients can define a hyperbola so it can't work!..." but they all satisfy pretty much any of the guides --so that went down in flames, I really don't see what makes that combination of coefficients special for a parabola. So if you do please help me understand.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Frustrated Scientist

Dear Frustrated Scientist,

I can understand your frustration with trying to understand the definition of a parabola using the general equation of second degree. However, the equation you have provided is not the standard form of a parabola. The standard form for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

To better understand the definition of a parabola, we must first understand its shape. A parabola is a symmetrical curve that resembles an arch. It has a vertex, which is the highest or lowest point of the curve, and it extends indefinitely in both directions. The general equation of a parabola in standard form can be rewritten as y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h, k) is the coordinates of the vertex.

Now, let's look at the general equation of second degree that you provided. In order for it to represent a parabola, the coefficients A, B, and C must satisfy the condition B^2 - 4AC = 0. This is known as the discriminant, and it determines the type of conic section the equation represents. When B^2 - 4AC = 0, the graph of the equation will be a parabola. This is because the discriminant is equal to the constant term in the standard form of the parabola, c.

In the table provided, the only combination that satisfies the condition B^2 - 4AC = 0 is when A = 0, B = -ve, and C = +ve. This means that the equation will have the form y = bx^2 + c, where b is a negative constant and c is a positive constant. This is the standard form of a parabola with its vertex at the origin.

I hope this helps clarify the definition of a parabola and how to determine its form using the general equation of second degree.A fellow scientist

1. What is the definition of a parabola?

A parabola is a symmetrical plane curve that is formed by the intersection of a cone with a plane parallel to its side. It is also defined as a quadratic function, where the highest power of the independent variable is 2.

2. How does parboiling affect the frontal lobe?

Parboiling, which involves partially boiling food before finishing the cooking process, does not directly affect the frontal lobe. However, consuming a diet high in processed, parboiled foods may contribute to inflammation and oxidative stress in the brain, which can impact cognitive function and the frontal lobe.

3. What is the relationship between a parabola and the frontal lobe?

There is no direct relationship between a parabola and the frontal lobe. However, both have a symmetrical shape and are important in their respective fields - the parabola in mathematics and the frontal lobe in the brain's executive functions.

4. Can parabolas be found in nature?

Yes, parabolas can be found in nature. Examples include the trajectory of a thrown ball, the shape of a water fountain, and the shape of the arch of a bridge. The growth of certain plants, such as the mimosa pudica, also follows a parabolic curve.

5. How is a parabola used in real life?

In addition to its applications in mathematics and physics, parabolas are used in various fields in real life. They are used in architecture and engineering to design structures such as arches and bridges. In optics, parabolic mirrors are used to focus light in telescopes and satellite dishes. In economics, the parabolic curve is used to represent the relationship between demand and price for a product.