What are the good math or physics grad schools Texas

In summary, the speaker is planning on applying to graduate programs for a PhD and is interested in both math and physics. They are unsure which field to pursue and enjoyed both in their undergraduate degree. They mention specific research topics they are interested in and plan on applying to programs in both math and physics, particularly in Texas. They also mention setting up appointments with schools for enrollment.
Fellowroot
I'm going to be applying to graduate programs this semester and would like to know which schools are good for a phd program.

I need to get into a phd program because it was the original goal that i set out to get.

I graduated with a double major in math and physics.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which do you want to do? math or physics? what specific research topics interest you?

Thanks for replying.

Well that's honestly the hardest part about my future. I got my BS degree in both fields and both of them are tugging at me from opposite ends.

I like math because I can CLEARLY see what's going on and have some deep level of understanding. However physics is science and I like science.

In my degree it was fun to do both because when math got a little dull physics spiced it up. I'm not asking for you to make my decision, but I did enjoy both.

I really liked topology in math and advanced cal was fun. For physics I really liked the Quantum class I took.

I'm actually thinking of applying to some math programs and then some physics programs. Just to see who accepts me. I have my GRE Subject scores. If you want them I'll try and find them and post them.

The best grad schools for physics in Texas are the same as the best grad schools in Texas. I would pick UT-Austin, A&M, and Rice.

Thank you. Rice and the University of Houston are close by and I plan on setting up an appointment to talk about enrolling as well as enrolling itself!

Related to What are the good math or physics grad schools Texas

1. What are the top math or physics grad schools in Texas?

The top math or physics grad schools in Texas include the University of Texas at Austin, Rice University, Texas A&M University, and the University of Houston. These schools are highly ranked for their strong research programs and faculty.

2. What are the admission requirements for math or physics grad schools in Texas?

The specific admission requirements may vary by school, but generally, applicants should have a strong undergraduate background in math or physics, strong letters of recommendation, and competitive GRE scores. Some schools may also require a personal statement and/or an interview.

3. How much does it cost to attend a math or physics grad school in Texas?

The cost of attendance can vary depending on the school and program. In-state tuition for the University of Texas at Austin, for example, is around $12,000 per year, while out-of-state tuition is around $22,000 per year. At Rice University, tuition for graduate programs is around $52,000 per year. It is important to research and consider the cost of attendance, as well as potential financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

4. What research opportunities are available at math or physics grad schools in Texas?

Texas is home to many top research universities, so there are plenty of research opportunities available at math or physics grad schools. Some schools may have specific research areas or labs that students can join, while others may offer more general research opportunities. It is important to research the faculty and research areas of each school to find the best fit for your interests.

5. Can I pursue a joint degree in math or physics and another field at Texas grad schools?

Yes, many math or physics grad schools in Texas offer joint degree programs with other disciplines such as engineering, computer science, or business. These programs allow students to earn two degrees in a shorter amount of time and can be beneficial for those interested in interdisciplinary research or careers.