Creating PDF Files from Other Formats

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files Pdf
In summary, using Adobe Distiller as a printer driver, you can print PDF's from IE or Word. There are also free solutions available for Windows.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is the easiest way to make PDF's from HTML or DOC files?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Use Adobe Distiller as a printer driver, and print them from IE or Word.

- Warren

OpenOfficeWriter (unix/linux version; I don't know about the windows version) includes a PDF converter. Select it as you would any printer on the print menu & it prints your document to a PDF file.

Here's a free solution for Windows I just accidentally came across:

http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/index.html

It requires Ghostscript, but you probably have that already. (If not, it's free too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, I wound up going with PDF 995. It works like a charm converting HTML documents, but it is having trouble swallowing a PS file that I have. I'll try the ones you suggested.

But is a program that can convert from PDF to Microsoft Word or other formats available yet?

recon,

Such a thing won't ever happen. It is not possible, except in rare cases.

- Warren

recon
Why don't you try Ctrl+A,copy ,paste in word(will take some time)
Unfortunately For graphic,you have to manually select one by one

Tom Mattson said:
What is the easiest way to make PDF's from HTML or DOC files?
Methinks,
There are lots of ways to do that, I personally usually do the same as what your question made especially when I run Windows: dirrectly create a pdf file from a doc file.
You have to download winteng which is available on the internet (Acrobat.com (?)). You also need to have Ghostscript, GhostView already installed, these two guys are also for free.
After you create your doc file and would like to make a change into pdf one, you print it to file first with a .prn extension and then open this .prn file under GhostView by which you are able to change it into a pdf format.

Another way I also use is via Miktex (?), I code my file in notepad or in some editor, and save it with .tex extension and just change this .tex file into dvi and then pdf, it is just in same way as what I or You usually do under Linux.

As a note, a pdf file created by directly changing from doc/html mightnot be printable under unix, linux system. I guess it is because of the way it was formated. Real Reasons ? I...don't...know...
I don't bother to look for them either because there are lots of ways to create a pdf file. But if anyone could post a reason for such a strange behavior of OSes, I would really love to seriously take it as nice future reference...:niceteeth:

What is the process for creating a PDF file from other formats?

The process for creating a PDF file from other formats typically involves using a PDF conversion software or tool. This software will take the original file, such as a Word document or image, and convert it into a PDF format. Some programs may also allow you to directly save or export a file as a PDF.

Why would someone need to convert a file to a PDF format?

PDF files are widely used for sharing and distributing documents because they are universally accessible, preserve formatting and layout, and can be easily viewed on any device. Converting a file to PDF also ensures that the document will appear the same to all recipients, regardless of the program or software they are using.

What types of files can be converted to a PDF format?

Most types of files can be converted to PDF, including text documents, images, spreadsheets, presentations, and more. Some PDF conversion software may have limitations on the types of files they can convert, so it is important to check the program's capabilities before attempting to convert a file.

Are there any limitations to converting a file to PDF?

While most files can be converted to PDF, there may be some limitations depending on the original file format. For example, if a document contains embedded videos or animations, these may not be preserved in the converted PDF. Additionally, some complex or large files may take longer to convert or may result in a larger PDF file size.

What is the best way to convert a file to PDF?

The best way to convert a file to PDF will depend on your specific needs and the type of file you are converting. There are many different PDF conversion software programs available, so it is important to research and choose the one that best fits your requirements. Some programs may offer advanced features such as batch conversion or OCR (optical character recognition) capabilities.