Linking files into a txt file?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File files
In summary, you can create an HTML file that references the others and then the browser can open them at a click provided it has a browser plugin that supports the filetype. Alternatively, you could create a markdown file and then convert it to HTML and use the browser once again. Markdown files have a decidedly simpler syntax and are easy to write in a text editor such as VS Code.
mech-eng
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to link files
Is there anyway that pdf, html or any other type of files can be linked into a txt file? That is, I would like to click to a link in a txt that will open another file.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Instead of a text file, you can create an HTML file that references the others and then the browser can open them at a click provided it has a browser plugin that supports the filetype.

Alternatively, you could create a markdown file and then convert it to HTML and use the browser once again. Markdown files have a decidedly simpler syntax and are easy to write in a text editor such as VS Code.

I mention VS code because it has a markdown preview mode that can display the markdown file and then will follow links listed in the markdown text to open the relevant web page or pdf file.

One more point is that all file references should be in URL format even if they are local ie use file:// for local files. Although it seems that the local URL doesn't work in VS code preview like http.

mech-eng said:
Is there anyway that pdf, html or any other type of files can be linked into a txt file?
Yes, simply type the URL in the file e.g.
Code:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/linking-files-into-a-txt-file.996247/#post-6419210

mech-eng said:
That is, I would like to click to a link in a txt that will open another file.
It is not files that follow links, it is the application you use to read the file. Are you asking 'is there an application that will follow links in txt files'? Some advanced text editors (like VS Code already mentioned) can do this.

When you select a URL (that is not a link), most browsers will offer an option in the context menu (right-click) to open the URL (Firefox: "Open Link"; Chrome: "Go to [...]"). Although, it doesn't work for local files ("file:///" protocol)

Browsers can read txt files, thus it works with URLs in these files too!

If your browser has an extension (Chrome) or add-on (Firefox) to read a markdown file (basically a text file with extension .md instead of .txt), all you have to do is enclose the URL in angle brackets like so <scheme://www.example.com/> to create a link.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What does it mean to "link" files into a txt file?

Linking files into a txt file means that you are creating a connection between the txt file and other files. This allows for easy access to the linked files within the txt file.

2. How do I link files into a txt file?

To link files into a txt file, you can use a text editor or coding software to insert the file path or URL of the linked files into the txt file. You can also use HTML <a> tags to create clickable links to the files within the txt file.

3. Can I link any type of file into a txt file?

Yes, you can link any type of file into a txt file as long as the file is compatible with the software or program used to open the txt file. This includes images, documents, videos, and more.

4. What are the benefits of linking files into a txt file?

Linking files into a txt file allows for easier organization and access to related files. It also makes it easier to share or transfer multiple files at once and can save storage space by not having to duplicate files in multiple locations.

5. Can I edit the linked files within the txt file?

No, linking files into a txt file does not allow for direct editing of the linked files. You will need to open the linked file separately in its respective software or program in order to make changes to it.