Endothermic / exothermic reaction

In summary, there are compounds that can be dissolved in water to cause the water to cool, such as solid ammonium nitrate. However, these compounds should not be ingested and should be handled with caution.
hamudi786
Hello,
I need a few compounds that i can use that are soluble with water that causes the water to cool, so that if ingested it will not do any harm. your advice would be greatly appreciated, also if you may include a chemical formula if it is known. THANK YOU.

P.S. this is out of interest. no ingestion will occur LOL

Chemistry news on Phys.org
hamudi786 said:
Hello,
I need a few compounds that i can use that are soluble with water that causes the water to cool, so that if ingested it will not do any harm. your advice would be greatly appreciated, also if you may include a chemical formula if it is known. THANK YOU.

P.S. this is out of interest. no ingestion will occur LOL

Dissolution of solid ammonium nitrate is a classic example of an endothermic process (I think that is how those one-time break-seal cold packs work). There are other examples, but this should be enough to get you started with a google search. None of them should ever be considered "safe for ingestion", in my opinion.

1. What is an endothermic reaction?

An endothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that absorbs heat from its surroundings. This results in a decrease in temperature of the surrounding environment.

2. What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases heat into its surroundings. This results in an increase in temperature of the surrounding environment.

3. How can you tell if a reaction is endothermic or exothermic?

A reaction is endothermic if the temperature of the surrounding environment decreases during the reaction, and exothermic if the temperature increases. Additionally, endothermic reactions typically feel cold to the touch, while exothermic reactions feel hot.

4. What are some examples of endothermic reactions?

Some examples of endothermic reactions include melting ice, evaporation of water, and photosynthesis in plants. These reactions all absorb heat from their surroundings in order to occur.

5. What are some examples of exothermic reactions?

Some examples of exothermic reactions include combustion reactions, such as burning wood or gasoline, and neutralization reactions, such as mixing an acid and a base. These reactions release heat into their surroundings as they occur.