Working in the semiconductor field?

In summary, the conversation discusses a math major's transition into the field of electronics engineering, specifically in the semiconductor industry. The individual is not afraid of mathematically challenging aspects, but has questions about the day-to-day problem solving in engineering and the big challenges in the semiconductor field. They also inquire about the necessary knowledge in physics and seek any additional advice.
arachnotron
Hi all,

I'm a math major about to take the plunge into EE in hopes to work in the semiconductor industry (hopefully working on CPUs, GPUs, etc.). I have math degree, so mathematically challenging aspects of things don't scare me too much.

However, I have a question about how working in the field is on a day-to-day basis. As a math major, I was exposed to lots of advanced mathematics and lots of clever problem solving, and lots of open questions in a lot of different fields.

My questions are:

1. What are the "day to day" problems that Electronics engineers solve? Is engineering problem solving very "creative" like solving a challenging mathematical problem? Or are the problems more...routine?

2. What are the "big" challenges in the semiconductor field that are as of yet insurmountable, and what are the obstacles that keep these issues from being solved?

3. How much physics should I know? What fields of physics should I know stone-cold?

4. Any other advice you can offer?

Regards,
--Arachnotron

Engineering news on Phys.org
to work in semiconductor R&D you should thorough knowledge of device fabrication, packaging and all,and should have good knowledge about semiconductor physics.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. It is typically made of silicon, but can also be made of other elements such as germanium or gallium arsenide.

What is the role of a scientist in the semiconductor field?

Scientists play a key role in the development and advancement of technologies in the semiconductor field. They are responsible for researching, designing, and testing new materials and processes to improve semiconductor devices and make them smaller, faster, and more efficient. They also analyze data and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the manufacturing process.

What are the career opportunities in the semiconductor field?

The semiconductor field offers a wide range of career opportunities for scientists, including research and development, process engineering, device design, and quality control. Scientists can also work in various industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy.

What skills are required to work in the semiconductor field?

To work in the semiconductor field, scientists need to have a strong background in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. They should also have knowledge of semiconductor materials and manufacturing processes, as well as experience with data analysis and problem-solving. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important in this field.

How is the semiconductor field impacting our daily lives?

The semiconductor industry has greatly impacted our daily lives by enabling the development of electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets. It also plays a crucial role in the advancement of technology in various industries, including healthcare, transportation, and renewable energy. Additionally, the semiconductor field continues to drive innovation and shape the future of technology.