Partial trace of density matrix

In summary, to find the expectation value of an observable in a composite system, you must first calculate the partial trace over one subsystem and then use that result in the formula for the expectation value.
climbon
I am unsure how to (mathematically) do the partial trace of a density matrix so that I can find the expectation value of an observable.

I am working on a model similar to the Jaynes cummings model. My density matrix is of the form;

[tex]
\rho = [\rho_{11}, \rho_{12}, \rho_{21}, \rho_{22}]
[/tex]

As a 2x2 matrix. My system is a composite system as;

[tex]
H_{A} \otimes H_{B}
[/tex]

I want to find the partial trace over the field so I can use an observable M to find the population inversion of the atom;

[tex]
\rho^{A}(t) = Tr_{F}\rho(t)
[/tex]

That way I can;

[tex]
Tr(M \bullet \rho^{A})
[/tex]

To find the inversion of the atom.

How do i do the trace over the field...I understand the principle but struggling how to do this mathematically??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!The partial trace of a density matrix is a mathematical operation that allows us to trace out one subsystem from a composite system. To do this mathematically, you need to use the definition of the trace operation: Tr(A) = Σi Ai,i Where A is an NxN matrix and Ai,i is the ith diagonal element of A. In the case of a 2x2 density matrix, you can calculate the partial trace over one subsystem (let's say B for simplicity) by summing all the elements in the diagonal of the matrix: Tr_B(ρ) = Σi ρii where ρii is the ith diagonal element of ρ.Once you have calculated the partial trace, you can then use it to calculate the expectation value of an observable M: <M> = Tr(M ρ) Where M is your observable and ρ is the density matrix.

What is the partial trace of a density matrix?

The partial trace of a density matrix is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the reduced density matrix of a subsystem. It is obtained by tracing out the degrees of freedom of the other subsystems from the full density matrix, resulting in a reduced matrix that describes the state of the subsystem of interest.

Why is the partial trace important in quantum mechanics?

The partial trace is important because it allows us to calculate the reduced density matrix of a subsystem, which contains all the information about the state of that subsystem. This is especially useful when dealing with entangled states, where the full density matrix can be very complex and difficult to analyze.

How is the partial trace calculated?

The partial trace is calculated by summing over all possible basis states of the subsystem that is being traced out. This involves taking the inner product of the basis states with the corresponding basis states of the subsystem, and then multiplying by the corresponding element of the full density matrix. The resulting sum is the element of the reduced density matrix for that particular basis state of the subsystem.

What are some applications of the partial trace?

The partial trace has many applications in quantum information and quantum computing. It is used in quantum state tomography, where it allows us to reconstruct the state of a quantum system by measuring its reduced density matrix. It is also used in quantum teleportation, where it is used to determine the state of a teleported particle. Additionally, the partial trace is used in studying quantum entanglement and quantum correlations between subsystems.

Can the partial trace be performed on any density matrix?

Yes, the partial trace can be performed on any density matrix, as long as the subsystem of interest is defined and can be traced out. It is a general mathematical operation that can be applied to any quantum state, regardless of its complexity or entanglement. However, the resulting reduced density matrix may not always be easy to analyze or interpret, depending on the initial state.