Undergraduate Majors for a Career in Physics or Engineering

In summary, if you want to pursue a career in nuclear engineering or physics, it may be best to major in engineering or physics and then pursue a graduate degree in physics or nuclear engineering. However, if you are interested in pursuing a career in either field, you should consider a major in either engineering or physics with a minor in mathematics.
DR13
I am interested in both nucler engineering and pure physics. For my undergraduate studies I plan to major in Engineering Physics with a concentration on Nuclear Engineering at the University of Michigan. This involves 14 credits worth of pure physics classes along with 17 credits of an engineering concentration (in my case nuclear engineering). I was wondering if this path would allow me to keep my options open so I could go into either nuclear engineering or physics for graduate school? Or, would it be unwise to split my major like this? Any advice you have will be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
DR13

Physics news on Phys.org
DR13 said:
I am interested in both nucler engineering and pure physics. For my undergraduate studies I plan to major in Engineering Physics with a concentration on Nuclear Engineering at the University of Michigan. This involves 14 credits worth of pure physics classes along with 17 credits of an engineering concentration (in my case nuclear engineering). I was wondering if this path would allow me to keep my options open so I could go into either nuclear engineering or physics for graduate school? Or, would it be unwise to split my major like this? Any advice you have will be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
DR13

Within engineering, the ABET accreditation attached to the full B.S. can be important. I'm not sure of the accreditation etc of the particular track you are looking at or the relationships the school has with particular employers. If I were you I would start in the normal engineering track. This would give you exposure to all of the basic math and physics courses you would need in engineering or physics. After your first year you may be in a better position to make a decision, and you won't be behind at all.

The physics route is probably best if you want to get a phd and do physics research. The engineering route will probably give you an easier time in the job market. Have you considered a double major or a major with a minor?

Last edited:
I have not yet considered a double major but thank you for the advice and I will be sure to look into it. I may do a mathematics minor. The reason for that is because by the end of high school I will be through multivariable calc/diff eq so i would actually only be like one class away.

If anyone else has any information it would be much appreciated?

1. What are the most common undergraduate majors for a career in physics or engineering?

The most common undergraduate majors for a career in physics are physics, engineering physics, and applied physics. For engineering, the most common majors are electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and computer engineering.

2. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate major to pursue a career in physics or engineering?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific undergraduate major to pursue a career in physics or engineering. Many students choose to major in related fields such as mathematics, computer science, or chemistry before pursuing a graduate degree in physics or engineering.

3. Are there any specific courses or electives that are recommended for students interested in a career in physics or engineering?

Yes, there are several courses and electives that are recommended for students interested in a career in physics or engineering. These include calculus, differential equations, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and computer programming.

4. What skills should I develop during my undergraduate studies to prepare for a career in physics or engineering?

Some important skills to develop during your undergraduate studies for a career in physics or engineering include strong mathematical and problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any specific graduate programs or certifications that are recommended for a career in physics or engineering?

There are many graduate programs and certifications that can be beneficial for a career in physics or engineering, depending on your specific interests and career goals. Some common options include a Master of Science in Physics or Engineering, a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Physics or Engineering, or specific certifications in a specialized field such as aerospace engineering or materials science.