Is W a Subspace of V? Exploring 3x3 Matrices

In summary, the discussion is about whether the set of all 3x3 lower triangular matrices is a subspace of the space of all 3x3 matrices with real entries. The conversation includes a possible answer and a question about how to explain why this is the case, with the suggestion that an understanding of the definition and a specific theorem is necessary.
Sanglee

Homework Statement

Let V be the spcae of all 3x3 matrices with real entries. Is W, the set of all 3x3 lower triangular matrices, a subspace of V? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just think that all 3x3 lower triangular matrices are included in all 3x3 matrices with real entires.
So my answer is that W is a subspace of V. but I don't know correct answer.
and I don't know how to explain why I think W is a subspace of V...
I think I'm missing an important definition or theorem...?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sanglee said:
I just think that all 3x3 lower triangular matrices are included in all 3x3 matrices with real entires.
That just means W is a subset of V.
So my answer is that W is a subspace of V. but I don't know correct answer.
and I don't know how to explain why I think W is a subspace of V...
I think I'm missing an important definition or theorem...?
You're missing the definition of a subspace. You need to understand that first. Then there's a theorem that tells you what you need to show to prove W is a subspace of V.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies the properties of a vector space. In other words, it is a subset of a larger vector space that is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you determine if W is a subspace of V?

To determine if W is a subspace of V, you must check if it satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. What are 3x3 matrices?

A 3x3 matrix is a matrix that has 3 rows and 3 columns. It is a rectangular array of numbers or variables, typically used to represent linear transformations or systems of linear equations.

4. Can a 3x3 matrix be a subspace of a vector space?

No, a 3x3 matrix cannot be a subspace of a vector space. A subspace must be a subset of a vector space, and a 3x3 matrix is not a subset of a vector space but rather a type of mathematical object.

5. Why is it important to explore 3x3 matrices when determining if W is a subspace of V?

Exploring 3x3 matrices allows us to understand if W satisfies the properties of a vector space. Since 3x3 matrices are commonly used to represent linear transformations, it is important to determine if W is a subspace of V in order to understand its relationship to the larger vector space.