Get Help for AP Physics C: Struggling Student Seeks Guidance for Future Success

In summary, a student is struggling in an online AP Physics class and is worried about failing and how it will affect their chances of getting into a good college. They are seeking advice on how to improve their grade, including studying methods and potential mistakes they have made, such as not taking prior calculus. However, some commenters point out that taking AP Physics without prior calculus is not impossible and the necessary calculus can be learned quickly. The student is encouraged to identify the root of their struggles and find ways to improve their understanding of the material.
DuckDodgers
Warning: I am aware of my careless actions but please help me out

Ok, I'm a Jr in highschol, I have a 3.7 GPA I've taken honors math and I'm taking ap calculus next year so I'm good with math. I haven't dealt with physics since about 7th grade and my experience with it wasn't that bad. I was hoping to take honors physics at my school, but the way my AP classes were set up I had to take it online, but there wasn't an option for honors, it was AP or on level. Through my ignorance I chose AP because of the extra GPA point little did I know this class would be hell. I currently have a 34 in the course and it's terribly difficult online. If I fail this class is it the end of the world? will I be able to get into a good college? I want to be an aerospace engineer and this is so frustrating knowing that I could have an F on my transcript! Help

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not worry, failing a class is not the end of the world.

Do you know why you're failing? Is it a problem of not knowing the math and skills necessary to take AP physics? Do you simply not understand the material?

Well, to be honest, getting an F on AP Physics isn't going to look good. I think it might harm you quite a bit, especially if you're going into a major like aerospace engineering which uses physics quite a bit. I would try my best to get the best grade possible. An A might not be possible anymore, but anything is better than an F on your transcript.

That said, getting into good schools is a bit of a problem, but not even the worst of your problems. The worst problem is that you don't understand the material for some reason. The thing you should absolutely do is find out why you're doing so badly. You should come up with problems that you can fix and then implement the solution.

For example, how are you studying for physics? Just reading the book isn't enough, you need to fight through the book. Make sure you understand every sentence and you can give examples. And most important: do enough problems! Only doing the homework, isn't enough. And looking at the solutions after 1 minute won't do either. You need to do difficult problems and think about it until you find it. It is not easy, but it is the only way.

Maybe the textbook is bad? Get another textbook. You don't understand a concept? Ask on PF. Etc. Try to figure out what is wrong, and then fix it. We live in an age of internet where a gigantic amount of information and help is available. Use it!

Likes 1 person
Your first mistake: taking AP physics C without taking prior calculus. The class is pretty much impossible without calculus, especially the 2nd part which is E&M. I don't think there's anyway you'll pass the class without studying calculus (at least derivatives and integrals).

iRaid said:
Your first mistake: taking AP physics C without taking prior calculus. The class is pretty much impossible without calculus, especially the 2nd part which is E&M. I don't think there's anyway you'll pass the class without studying calculus (at least derivatives and integrals).

That was my first thought as well. Being "good" at math is not going to help you if you haven't yet learned the calculus necessary. Is the AP physics course taught through your school? If not, you may not need to report it.

In addition, I can't believe that a school would encourage taking a math-oriented class online.

Wow, I entirely missed that you didn't know calculus! Yeah, then it's practically impossible to pass the class.

How were you allowed to even enroll in the class witout calculus?

iRaid said:
Your first mistake: taking AP physics C without taking prior calculus.

This is not true at all-a statement like that needs a case by case assessment. I took AP Physics C my junior year of HS without having taken calculus before as did a couple of others in the class and it (the math) was no trouble at all for any of us. If one finds AP Physics C to be hard it's almost always because of the physics, not because of the absolutely trivial level of calculus the class entails. The necessary calculus for the class can be learned in less than a week.

Of course if one goes into AP Physics C without knowing the class uses calculus, to whatever little extent that it does, then that's clearly a huge mistake and in such a case they would definitely be in for an initial shock. But again, the required calculus can be learned quickly and easily and is seldom used in the class proper. The geometric problems in EM involve very basic integrals and most of the troubles for students tend to lie instead in setting up the problem based on the underlying physics-the same goes for mechanics (coordinate systems, reference frames, free-body diagrams, knowing when to use conservation of energy vs. Newton's 2nd law etc.)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
This is not true at all-a statement like that needs a case by case assessment. I took AP Physics C my junior year of HS without having taken calculus before as did a couple of others in the class and it (the math) was no trouble at all for any of us. If one finds AP Physics C to be hard it's almost always because of the physics, not because of the absolutely trivial level of calculus the class entails. The necessary calculus for the class can be learned in less than a week.

Of course if one goes into AP Physics C without knowing the class uses calculus, to whatever little extent that it does, then that's clearly a huge mistake and in such a case they would definitely be in for an initial shock. But again, the required calculus can be learned quickly and easily and is seldom used in the class proper. The geometric problems in EM involve very basic integrals and most of the troubles for students tend to lie instead in setting up the problem based on the underlying physics-the same goes for mechanics (coordinate systems, reference frames, free-body diagrams, knowing when to use conservation of energy vs. Newton's 2nd law etc.)

I do apologize for that, but if AP physics C is like any college level E&M class, I don't see how you can pass without calculus. The first half is definitely possible without calculus, but E&M, I don't see how.

WannabeNewton said:
The necessary calculus for the class can be learned in less than a week.

Well, I know you can :tongue: Regular people like me don't have brilliance for that!

Anyway, I would kind of like to hear back from the OP. He should make clear why the class is so difficult. Maybe the issue is not at all the calculus...

Likes 1 person

1. How can I improve my understanding of AP Physics C?

In order to improve your understanding of AP Physics C, it is important to first make sure you have a strong foundation in the basics of physics. This includes understanding concepts such as vectors, kinematics, and forces. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups. Additionally, practicing with past AP Physics C exams can help you become familiar with the format and types of questions that will be asked.

2. What are some common mistakes students make when studying for AP Physics C?

One common mistake students make when studying for AP Physics C is not spending enough time on the fundamentals. It is important to have a solid understanding of the basic concepts before moving on to more complex topics. Another mistake is not practicing enough with past exams, which can help you identify areas where you may need more practice.

3. How can I manage my time effectively during the AP Physics C exam?

Time management is crucial during the AP Physics C exam. It is important to familiarize yourself with the format of the exam and the types of questions that will be asked. This will help you plan your time accordingly and allocate enough time for each question. It is also helpful to practice with timed practice exams to get a feel for the pace you need to maintain during the actual exam.

4. What are some tips for tackling difficult AP Physics C problems?

One tip for tackling difficult AP Physics C problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify the key concepts and principles that are being tested. It is also important to carefully read and analyze the problem, making sure you understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it. It can also be helpful to work backwards from the answer choices to determine the correct approach.

5. How can I stay motivated and focused while studying for AP Physics C?

Staying motivated and focused while studying for AP Physics C can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Set specific goals for yourself and track your progress as you meet them. This can help you stay motivated and see your improvement over time. It can also be helpful to study with a group or find a study partner to keep each other accountable. Taking breaks and practicing self-care can also help you stay focused and motivated during your study sessions.