How is this Linear Algebra book? Opionions?

In summary, "Elementary Linear Algebra, 3rd Edition" by Larson and Edwards, published in 1996, is a highly recommended textbook for the subject. Compared to other well-known authors, it is organized and explains concepts better, making it easier to understand. Other recommended textbooks include "Linear Algebra and its Applications, 3rd Edition" by David C. Lay and "Linear Algebra" by Seymour Lipschutz and Marc Lipson. Both have solutions manuals available and include helpful solved examples.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
The book, Elementary Linear Algebra, 3rd Edition, Larson & Edwards. 1996.

I'm interested in opinions. How or what is the level of this book? Are there better textbooks for certain topics? Is this book better than others for certain topics? How do you believe this compares to other books by well known authors?

I spent a few hours reading the chapter 1, and so far, it seems very understandable. I have not yet started examining beyond chapter 1.

Tell me what you all have to say.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a course I took recently, we used Linear Algebra and its applications 3rd edition by David C. Lay. I thought it was a great book. If your book doesn't work out for you, I would recommend this one.

here is the amazon review by a UGA undergrad:

best book on the subject I've seen, November 11, 2008
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Elementary Linear Algebra (Hardcover)
i was a math major at University of Georgia (i have graduated since then) and took intro to linear algebra several times. (okay it's not THAT funny.) it was a different teacher and a different book every time. which made it very easy for me to compare. this book was so much more organized and explained things so much better so that not only did i pass the class, i actually made an A. strongly recommended for all that is interested in the subject, or taking this class but having difficulties. this book will help you understand.(This same student also reviewed a jar of gummy bears.)

I cannot provide an opinion on the quality of a textbook. However, I can provide some objective observations about the book.

Firstly, the fact that the book has been in use since 1996 suggests that it has been well received by students and instructors over the years. This could be due to its clear and understandable writing style, as mentioned by the reader.

Additionally, the book is written by Larson and Edwards, who are well-known authors in the field of mathematics. This could indicate that the content of the book is accurate and reliable.

However, it is important to note that there may be newer editions of the book available, which may contain updated information and methods. Therefore, it would be beneficial to also consider more recent textbooks in the field when making a decision on which book to use.

Furthermore, the reader should also consider their own learning style and preferences when choosing a textbook. Some may find this book to be a great resource, while others may prefer a different approach.

Overall, it is always a good idea to get multiple opinions and compare different textbooks when making a decision on which one to use for studying.

1. Is this Linear Algebra book suitable for beginners?

It depends on the level of mathematical background and understanding that the reader has. This book covers the basics of Linear Algebra, but some prior knowledge in algebra and calculus may be helpful.

2. Does this book provide enough examples and practice problems?

Yes, this book includes numerous examples and practice problems to help readers understand and apply the concepts in Linear Algebra. It also includes solutions to selected problems for reference.

3. Is the content of this book up-to-date with current Linear Algebra concepts?

Yes, the content of this book is up-to-date and covers all the essential topics in Linear Algebra. However, since Linear Algebra is an ever-evolving field, some newer concepts may not be included.

4. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better suited for a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. It includes clear explanations and examples, making it easy for self-study. However, having a teacher or tutor to guide and clarify any doubts can be beneficial.

5. Are there any online resources or supplementary material available for this book?

Yes, there are various online resources and supplementary material available for this book, such as practice quizzes, video tutorials, and additional exercises. These resources can further enhance the learning experience.