Can I calculate the (multiplicative) inverse of any element in a cyclic group?

In summary, the original problem involves identifying encrypted messages using the ElGamal public key crypto system. It uses exponentiation in a cyclic group G of prime order p with generator g. The public key is y = g^x, where x is the private key. The solution relies on the ability to calculate y^{-1}. While it may seem that x^{p-1} = x^{-1}, this is not always the case as Fermat's theorem states that x^p mod p is x, not 1. However, in a multiplicative Z_p group, x^(p-1) is the inverse of x where p is the order of the group. This holds true even if G is not cyclic or p is
Troff

Homework Statement

The original problem has to do with telling messages encrypted with a version of the ElGamal public key crypto system apart. It relies on exponentiation in an arbitrary cyclic group G of prime order p with generator g. The public key is [tex]y = g^x[/tex] where x is the private key.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well - I don't actually want help finding a solution to the original problem, but the solution that I do have relies on the ability to calculate [tex]y^{-1}[/tex]. As far as I can tell [tex]\forall x \in G: x^{p} = 1[/tex], which would seem to imply that [tex]\forall x \in G: x^{p-1} = x^{-1}[/tex]. Either this is wrong in which case I'd like to understand what I'm missing or I am doing something wrong somewhere else, which I'd then correct or fail myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost right. Fermat's theorem tells you x^p mod p is x. Not 1. The group actually has p-1 elements in it.

Yes, but the order of the group is what is given and I can't assume that we're in [tex]\mathbb{Z}^*_p[/tex] so modular arithmetic and Fermat's theorem seem to be an isomorphism away (at least). But apart from the exact value of the exponent you seem to agree that it's possible to efficiently calculate the inverse.

Right. I was thinking of multiplicative Z_p. In that case I agree. x^(p-1) is the inverse of x where p is the order of the group. In fact, I don't think you even need to assume G is cyclic or that p is prime for that.

Last edited:

1. Can I calculate the multiplicative inverse of any element in a cyclic group?

Yes, the multiplicative inverse of any element in a cyclic group can be calculated, as long as the element is not the identity element. In a cyclic group, every element has a unique inverse, meaning that multiplying an element by its inverse will result in the identity element.

2. What is the identity element in a cyclic group?

The identity element in a cyclic group is the element that, when multiplied by any other element, will result in the same element. In other words, it is the element that has no effect on the group's operation.

3. How can I find the multiplicative inverse of an element in a cyclic group?

The multiplicative inverse of an element in a cyclic group can be found using the extended Euclidean algorithm. This algorithm involves finding the greatest common divisor between the element and the order of the group. The inverse can then be calculated using modular arithmetic.

4. Is the multiplicative inverse of an element in a cyclic group unique?

Yes, the multiplicative inverse of an element in a cyclic group is unique. This is because every element in a cyclic group has a unique order, and the inverse is determined by the element's order. Therefore, no two elements in a cyclic group can have the same inverse.

5. Are there any elements in a cyclic group that do not have a multiplicative inverse?

Yes, the only element in a cyclic group that does not have a multiplicative inverse is the identity element. This is because the identity element has no effect on the group's operation, so multiplying it by any other element will always result in the same element.