What are some recommended low speed airfoils for fly-by-wire projects?

• Thread starter mleesk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary: Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.In summary, the German 'Stork' aeroplane might be a good option for a slow-speed lift aeroplane. It has a slow take-off speed and is capable of VTOL performance.
mleesk
i am doing a project on fly-by-wire and need a wing which creates great lift at low speed. i am got a couple choices on my hand but not sure which one to go for. can anyone suggest any others? eppler 61(?) and gottingen 639 are my choices. any offers? thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mleesk.
I'm afraid that I don't know what those terms mean.
From a pilot's perspective, I'd look into whatever the German 'Stork' aeroplane used. That's the slowest thing that I've ever seen in my life. I'm old and have emphysema and arthritis, but I can probably still run faster than its take-off speed. I once saw one flying backward over a runway because it had a 20mph headwind.

thanks for the reply. i think this could be something i am looking for. i will look into it. thanks again.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Mleesk.
I'm afraid that I don't know what those terms mean.
From a pilot's perspective, I'd look into whatever the German 'Stork' aeroplane used. That's the slowest thing that I've ever seen in my life. I'm old and have emphysema and arthritis, but I can probably still run faster than its take-off speed. I once saw one flying backward over a runway because it had a 20mph headwind.

Is that the one that supposedly could land crossways on a berlin boulevard?

TVP45 said:

Jeez that runway was short!

Yeah, but sure was wide...

Ba dum bum.

Zenith Zodiac CH701

This is a stol airplane that uses flaps and leading edge slats. The designer (Chris Heinz)might even help you out with a drawing.

TVP45 said:

I haven't heard that before, but I wouldn't doubt it. With any kind of decent headwind, it was capable of VTOL performance.

Good catch, Dave. :rofl:

not only type of airfoil, its geometrical structure also effect the lift generated

Danger said:
I haven't heard that before, but I wouldn't doubt it. With any kind of decent headwind, it was capable of VTOL performance.

Good catch, Dave. :rofl:

I may have that bollixed up. I was thinking of Hanna Reisch's flight out of Berlin; I don't know what plane she used. The Stork was the one Skorzeny used to get Mussolini off the mountaintop prison.

Try Lissaman airfoils. Micheal Selig's lab at IndianaU works with low speed aerodynamics, google it and you may find a nice airfoil there (there's a nice database).

What is a low speed aerfoil?

A low speed aerfoil is a type of airfoil or wing section that is designed to provide the most lift at low speeds, typically below 200 miles per hour. These types of aerfoils are commonly used in aircraft that fly at lower speeds such as gliders, agricultural planes, and some small recreational aircraft.

Why is it important to choose a low speed aerfoil?

Choosing a low speed aerfoil is important because it allows an aircraft to generate enough lift at lower speeds to take off and maintain flight. This is especially important for aircraft that operate at low speeds or have a high wing loading, which is the weight of the aircraft divided by the surface area of the wing.

What are the benefits of using a low speed aerfoil?

One of the main benefits of using a low speed aerfoil is that it allows an aircraft to take off and land at lower speeds, making it safer and more maneuverable in certain situations. It also allows for better control and stability at low speeds, which is important for aircraft that fly at low altitudes or in turbulent conditions.

How do you choose the right low speed aerfoil for a specific aircraft?

Choosing the right low speed aerfoil for a specific aircraft depends on several factors, including the aircraft's weight, wing loading, and intended use. It also involves analyzing the aerodynamic properties of different aerfoils and selecting the one that will provide the most lift and stability at the desired speed range.

Are there any disadvantages to using a low speed aerfoil?

One potential disadvantage of using a low speed aerfoil is that it may not provide enough lift at high speeds, limiting the maximum speed of the aircraft. Additionally, some low speed aerfoils may be less efficient and produce more drag than other aerfoils at higher speeds. However, these disadvantages are often outweighed by the benefits of using a low speed aerfoil for the intended purpose of the aircraft.