Parametric Surface Grid Curves: Solving for Tangent Vectors and Angle

• Thread starter the7joker7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve Grid
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a grid curve with v constant and a grid curve with u constant that both contain the point (1, 1, 2) on the given parametric surface. The solution is found to be v = √2 and u = π/4. The angle between the two grid curves at the given point is also mentioned.
the7joker7

Homework Statement

Consider the parametric surface r(u, v) = <vsin(u), vcos(u), v^2>

The point (1, 1, 2) is on this surface. Find the grid curve with v constant that contains this point.

And the grid curve with u constant that contains the point.

Then find tangent vector to both grid curves at (1, 1, 2).

Find the angle between both grid curves at (1, 1, 2).

Some other stuff I can't even think about right now follows...

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the grid curve with v constant is <sqrt(2)sin(u), sqrt(2)cos(u), sqrt(2)^2>

But then I couldn't get the one for U being constant, and this question still doesn't make too much sense to me in the first place...help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in order that (v sin(u), vcos(u), v2) pass through (1, 1, 2), v must be [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Therefore the curve through that point so that v is constant is, of course, [itex](\sqrt{2} sin(u), \sqrt{2} cos(u), 2)[/itex].

Now that we have established that v must be [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] at the point (1, 1, 2), for what value of u is [itex](\sqrt{2} sin(u), \sqrt{2} cos(u), 2)= (1, 1, 2)[/itex]?

pi/4. Thanks.

1. What is a grid curve?

A grid curve is a mathematical concept that describes a set of points plotted on a grid. It is a visual representation of a relationship between two variables.

2. How is a grid curve created?

A grid curve is created by plotting points on a grid and connecting them with a line. The points are determined by solving equations or by inputting data into a graphing calculator.

3. What is the purpose of using grid curves?

Grid curves are used to visualize and analyze data, patterns, and relationships between variables. They are commonly used in scientific and mathematical research to make predictions and draw conclusions.

4. How can I interpret a grid curve?

The interpretation of a grid curve depends on the context and purpose of the graph. Generally, the slope of the curve represents the rate of change between the variables, and the steepness of the curve indicates the strength of the relationship between the variables.

5. Can I manipulate a grid curve?

Yes, you can manipulate a grid curve by changing the variables, adjusting the scale of the axes, or modifying the data points. This can help you gain a better understanding of the relationship between the variables and make predictions about future outcomes.