Non-linear dynamics approach to a manifold of a saddle point using power series

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem in a dynamics course using the book "Non-linear Dynamics and Chaos" by Strogatz. The problem involves finding coefficients for a power series equation for both stable and unstable manifolds of a saddle node at (1,1). The student has some knowledge of points on the manifolds and has attempted to substitute them into the equation, but is still missing one equation. They are seeking advice on how to find the coefficients.
iratxo_flores

Homework Statement

Im taking a dynamics course and I am using The strogatz book Non-linear Dynamics and Chaos
I need to solve a problem that is similar to problem 6.1.14
Basically it consist in the following

You have a saddle node at (Ts,Zs) which is (1,1). Consider curves passing through this saddle point :

Z= Zs +h(T-Ts)

where h(s) is a power series:

h(s)= a1s+a2s2+a3s3+...

Find the coefficients for a1, a2 and a3+ for both stable and unstable manifolds of the saddle node at (Ts,Zs)

Homework Equations

I do know the following about the Unstable manifold (0,2) and (1,1) and (5,0) and for the stable manifold (0,0) and (1,1). all (T,Z) I am supposed to use the equation of above and figure out the coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already try to substitute the equation with the values that i know of but I am 1 equation short

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
iratxo_flores said:

Homework Statement

Im taking a dynamics course and I am using The strogatz book Non-linear Dynamics and Chaos
I need to solve a problem that is similar to problem 6.1.14
Basically it consist in the following

You have a saddle node at (Ts,Zs) which is (1,1). Consider curves passing through this saddle point :

Z= Zs +h(T-Ts)

where h(s) is a power series:

h(s)= a1s+a2s2+a3s3+...

Find the coefficients for a1, a2 and a3+ for both stable and unstable manifolds of the saddle node at (Ts,Zs)

Homework Equations

I do know the following about the Unstable manifold (0,2) and (1,1) and (5,0) and for the stable manifold (0,0) and (1,1). all (T,Z) I am supposed to use the equation of above and figure out the coefficients.
I have no idea what you mean by this! For the unstable manifold, you "know" (0, 2), (1, 1), and (5, 0). What do you mean you "know" them? Are they points? vectors?

The Attempt at a Solution

I already try to substitute the equation with the values that i know of but I am 1 equation short

any ideas?

HallsofIvy said:
I have no idea what you mean by this! For the unstable manifold, you "know" (0, 2), (1, 1), and (5, 0). What do you mean you "know" them? Are they points? vectors?

they are points

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3485/manifold.png

thats a sketch of the overall qualitative behaviour of the system, (0,2) and (5,0) are stable nodes and (0,0) is unstable. Of course i don't know the exact function of the manifolds, but i think i can make an approximation by using Z=Zs+h(T-Ts), which are the curves that pass through the saddle node (1,1)What I am being asked to answer, and don't know how to do.. is to determine the coefficients for both the unstable and stable manifolds,

Last edited by a moderator:
any ideas?

1. What is a non-linear dynamics approach?

A non-linear dynamics approach is a mathematical framework used to study complex systems that exhibit non-linear behavior, such as chaotic systems. It involves analyzing the behavior of a system over time, taking into account the interactions between its components.

2. What is a manifold of a saddle point?

A manifold of a saddle point is a geometric structure that describes the behavior of a system near a saddle point, which is a point in a system's phase space where the behavior is unstable. It is a surface that contains all the possible trajectories that pass through the saddle point.

3. How is a power series used in the non-linear dynamics approach?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function that is expressed as an infinite sum of terms. In the non-linear dynamics approach, power series are used to approximate the behavior of a system near a saddle point, providing insights into the stability and instability of the system.

4. What are the advantages of using a non-linear dynamics approach?

The non-linear dynamics approach allows for the study of complex systems that cannot be easily understood using traditional linear methods. It also provides a more accurate representation of real-world systems, as many natural phenomena exhibit non-linear behavior.

5. How is the non-linear dynamics approach used in practical applications?

The non-linear dynamics approach has a wide range of applications, including in economics, biology, physics, and engineering. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, identify critical points and transitions, and optimize system performance.