Calculate the mass of steam condensed

In summary: Also the ice has to go from 0 to 100In summary, the mass of steam condensed after a jet of steam at 100 degrees Celsius is directed into a hole in a large block of ice and then both reach 0 degrees Celsius is 22.6g, not 68.5g as initially calculated. This is due to the specific heat capacities of water and ice, as well as the latent heats of fusion and vaporization. To find the mass of steam, the temperature change of both the steam and ice must be taken into account.
Cervelo
A jet of steam @ 100 degrees Celsius is directed into a hole in a large block of ice. After the steam has switched off, the condensed steam and melted ice are both a 0 degrees Celsius. The mass of water collected is 206 g. Calculate the mass of steam condensed.
Specific heat capacity of water is 4200
Specific heat capacity of ice is 2100
Latent heat of fusion is 330
Latent heat of vaporization is 2260
I keep on getting 68.5g as an answer but apparently it is 22.6g
Please help me with showing the steps.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Cervelo said:
A jet of steam @ 100 degrees Celsius is directed into a hole in a large block of ice. After the steam has switched off, the condensed steam and melted ice are both a 0 degrees Celsius. The mass of water collected is 206 g. Calculate the mass of steam condensed.
Specific heat capacity of water is 4200
Specific heat capacity of ice is 2100
Latent heat of fusion is 330
Latent heat of vaporization is 2260
I keep on getting 68.5g as an answer but apparently it is 22.6g
Please help me with showing the steps.
Thank you

Those figures on heat are a bit misleading.
I think some of them refer to the number of Joules to change 1 kilogram by 1 degree, while others refer to how many Joules are needed to melt/vaporise on 1 gram of material.
What temperature did the ice start at?
Did you allow for the fact that once the steam condenses, it then has to cool from 100 to 0.

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of steam condensed?

The formula for calculating the mass of steam condensed is m = Q/∆H, where m is the mass of condensed steam, Q is the heat transferred, and ∆H is the enthalpy of condensation.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the mass of steam condensed?

The mass of steam condensed is typically measured in kilograms (kg).

3. How do you calculate the heat transferred in order to determine the mass of steam condensed?

To calculate the heat transferred, you can use the formula Q = m x Cp x ∆T, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, Cp is the specific heat capacity, and ∆T is the change in temperature.

4. Can the mass of steam condensed be negative?

No, the mass of steam condensed cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity and must have a positive value.

5. Is it necessary to know the specific properties of the steam in order to calculate its mass when condensed?

Yes, it is necessary to know the specific properties of the steam, such as its temperature and pressure, in order to accurately calculate its mass when condensed.