Free falling - Am I doing right?

• Thread starter danne89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, free falling is the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity. To ensure correct free falling, one must be in a state of weightlessness and not resist the force of gravity, while experiencing a constant acceleration towards the ground. The main factor that affects free falling is gravity, but air resistance, mass, and altitude can also have an impact. Free falling can be dangerous without proper precautions and training, and the speed and duration of the fall can be calculated using specific equations, but external factors may affect the accuracy of these calculations.
danne89
Hi. I'm going to calculate the time of impact for a free falling object, witch falls from 300 meters without any initial velocity.

So far I'm thinking I can do something like this.
y=-4.9t^2 + 300
-4.9t^2 + 300 = 0
4.9t^2 = 300
t^2 ~= 61
t ~= 7.8

Answer: The impact takes place 7.8 seconds after the drop of the object.

I'm assume I'm doing something wrong, so I'm really glad if anybody takes some time and look at this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me (neglecting air resistance, of course).

You got it right!

Unbelieveable

1. What is free falling and how does it work?

Free falling is the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity. It occurs when there is no force acting on the object other than gravity. The object will accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How can I ensure that I am free falling correctly?

To ensure that you are free falling correctly, make sure that you are in a state of weightlessness and that you are not resisting the force of gravity. You should also have a constant acceleration towards the ground and not be experiencing any other forces.

3. What are the factors that affect free falling?

The main factor that affects free falling is the force of gravity. However, other factors such as air resistance, mass, and altitude can also have an impact on the speed and duration of the free fall.

4. Is free falling dangerous?

Free falling can be dangerous if performed without proper precautions and training. It is important to have the necessary equipment and knowledge to ensure a safe free fall. Additionally, the height and speed of the fall can also increase the risk of injury or death.

5. How do I calculate the speed and duration of free falling?

The speed of free falling can be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds. The duration of free falling can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where h is the height in meters. However, factors such as air resistance and altitude can affect the accuracy of these calculations.