Plotting T-s Diagram Using Experimental Values

Your fellow forum member.In summary, a new member, Adrian, has shared their experiment using a steam power plant and has obtained pressure and temperature readings at various locations. However, they are struggling to create a T-s diagram due to having only three data points. Suggestions such as taking more readings and using thermodynamic software or a more detailed steam table are given to improve the results.
atsl88
Dear all

This is my first post in Physics Forum, so please do pardon if I do anything wrong.

Homework Statement

I have done an experiment using the following "Steam Power Plant".

http://www.turbinetechnologies.com/steam.html

I have managed to obtain pressure readings and temperature readings at the boiler, the turbine inlet and the turbine outlet respectively. These readings are taken when the inlet pressure is relatively stable.

I find the respective entropy using the steam table, sfg for boiler and outlet, s(superheated) at the inlet.

After I plotted on results, here is what I get http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/atsl88/Physics%20Question/?action=view&current=matlab.jpg .

It does not look like something that I can extrapolate into a T-s curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After serious thinking, it seems that at any time, I'll get 3 discrete values at the 3 mentioned locations, which will produce the above results and does not allow me to draw a T-s diagram.

I hope some one will be able to give me a little advice on what to look at next.

Best regards

Adrian

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Adrian,

First of all, welcome to the Physics Forum! It's great to see new members joining the community.

Regarding your experiment, it seems like you have obtained some interesting results. However, in order to create a T-s diagram, you will need more data points. It looks like you only have three data points at the moment, which is not enough to create a curve. I would suggest taking more readings at different pressure and temperature points to get a better understanding of the behavior of the steam in your system.

Additionally, have you considered the possibility of using a thermodynamic software to plot your results? This could give you a more accurate and detailed T-s diagram. Another option could be to use a steam table with more data points to get a better representation of the steam's behavior.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

What is the purpose of plotting a T-s diagram using experimental values?

The purpose of plotting a T-s diagram using experimental values is to visually represent and analyze the thermodynamic properties of a substance under different conditions. This can help in understanding the behavior of the substance and can be used for further research and analysis.

What are the necessary experimental values required for plotting a T-s diagram?

The necessary experimental values required for plotting a T-s diagram include temperature, pressure, and specific volume of the substance at different points. These values can be obtained through experiments or from published data.

What is the significance of the shape of a T-s diagram?

The shape of a T-s diagram can provide important information about the thermodynamic behavior of a substance. For example, a horizontal line on the diagram represents a constant temperature process, while a vertical line represents a constant pressure process. The slope of a line on the diagram also indicates the rate of change of a particular property.

How can experimental errors affect the accuracy of a T-s diagram?

Experimental errors, such as measurement errors or incorrect data recording, can affect the accuracy of a T-s diagram. This can result in incorrect calculations and analysis, leading to misleading conclusions about the substance's behavior.

What are some common applications of T-s diagrams using experimental values?

T-s diagrams using experimental values are commonly used in various fields such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics. They can be used to analyze and compare the performance of different systems, optimize processes, and design efficient systems for various applications.