Rate of heat generation in an electric circuit

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate at which heat is generated in the resistor of an electric circuit connected to a 40-ohm resistor embedded in a .20 kg solid substance in a calorimeter. The external portion of the circuit is connected to a 60-volt power supply and the calculated current is 2400 A. To accurately measure the amperage from the power supply, it is suggested to use a voltmeter and check the ohms reading. The equations derived from Ohm's law (V=IR, I=V/R, R=V/I) may also be helpful in solving the problem. However, the exact method for finding the rate of heat generation in the resistor is still unknown.
benji
How can I find the rate at which heat is generated in the resister in an electric circuit connected to a 40-ohm resistor that is embedded in a .20 kg solid substance in a calorimeter. The external portion of the circuit is connected to a 60-volt power supply. I calculated the current and it is 2400 A. Now I need to figure out what the "rate at which heat is generated in the resistor". I can figure out the rest of the problem once I have this information, but I don't know how to find it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
2400A is a HUGE CURRENT...
You sure you got it right??

if you have the current passes through the resistor , the power loss in the resistor is just I^2R...

The only way to get 2400 amps out of 60 volts is if it is run across a resistance of .025 ohms. To get an accurate reading of the amperage from the power supply, attach the two points of a voltmeter to the power supply, set the voltmeter setting to 125V (I'm assuming DC) and check the ohms reading from the needle. My math gave me 1.5 amps when 60 volts is run through a 40 ohm resistor.

Here are the 3 equations derived from Ohms law in case they may help you out:

V = voltage
I = Current
R = Resistance

V = I x R
I = V/R
R = V/I

I = 60v/40 = 1.5 amps
R= 60/2400 = .025 ohms

I included the R calculation because I doubt your power supply is producing 60 volts with such incredibly reduced resistance.

Can't help you with the heat generation, I'm looking for that answer too, that's how how came across your thread. Good luck!

1. What is heat generation in an electric circuit?

Heat generation in an electric circuit refers to the process of converting electrical energy into heat. This occurs when an electric current flows through a material with resistance, causing the material to heat up.

2. How is heat generated in an electric circuit?

Heat is generated in an electric circuit through the Joule heating effect, where the resistance of a material causes the electrical energy to be converted into heat energy. This can also occur through other processes such as magnetic hysteresis and dielectric losses.

3. What factors affect the rate of heat generation in an electric circuit?

The rate of heat generation in an electric circuit is affected by several factors, including the amount of current flowing through the circuit, the resistance of the materials in the circuit, and the temperature of the materials. Additionally, the duration of the current flow and the type of material used can also impact the rate of heat generation.

4. How is the rate of heat generation calculated in an electric circuit?

The rate of heat generation in an electric circuit can be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where P is the power (heat) generated in watts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula is known as Joule's first law and is commonly used to calculate the heat generated in a circuit.

5. What are the potential consequences of high heat generation in an electric circuit?

High heat generation in an electric circuit can lead to overheating, which can cause damage to the circuit components and potentially result in a fire. It can also lead to a decrease in the efficiency and lifespan of the circuit. Therefore, it is important to properly manage and dissipate heat in an electric circuit to prevent these consequences.