Constructing An Electric Thermometer, making it Display the Temperature

In summary, the conversation is about constructing an Electric Thermometer and how to ensure that it displays the correct temperature. The use of a temperature sensor and LED displays is mentioned, and there is a question about whether anyone has experience in building one. The use of a resistive thermal device (RTD) and a digital multimeter as a display is suggested, along with the need to calibrate the voltage to display in degrees Celsius. The use of a two-wire configuration is also mentioned and the importance of connecting the components correctly to read the actual temperature.
abotiz
Hi!

I was wondering if someone could help me understand how to construct an Electric Thermometer so it shows the right Temperature. I have this text from my Teacher to guide me:

The temperature sensor provides an output signal which namely is proportional to the temperature, but the displays show only the corresponding voltage in the given range. Arrange for the LED displays to show the correct temperature.

We are doing a laboration on this, and I figured I wanted to be prepared.
I know that its hard to help out with such little information, but perhaps if anyone has build one before knows the trick?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply!

I think its going to be an easy circuit like the " Two-wire configuration ", as I said its a laboration and the course is meant to give us a basic understanding of electric components.
And If I understand it right, the tricky part is to connect the different components in a way that it reads the actual Temperature, and not just shows the Voltage of something.

Thanks

1. How does an electric thermometer work?

An electric thermometer works by using a temperature sensor, typically a thermistor or thermocouple, to measure changes in temperature. The sensor is connected to an electrical circuit, which converts the temperature readings into an electrical signal that can be displayed on a screen.

2. What are the main components of an electric thermometer?

The main components of an electric thermometer include a temperature sensor, a power source, an amplifier, and a display. The temperature sensor is responsible for measuring the temperature, while the power source provides the necessary energy for the thermometer to function. The amplifier amplifies the electrical signal from the sensor, and the display shows the temperature reading in a user-friendly format.

3. How accurate are electric thermometers?

The accuracy of an electric thermometer can vary depending on the quality of its components and its calibration. However, most electric thermometers have an accuracy of within 0.1 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit, which is suitable for most everyday applications.

4. Can I calibrate an electric thermometer?

Yes, you can calibrate an electric thermometer to ensure its accuracy. This involves comparing the thermometer's readings to a known standard and adjusting the calibration if necessary. Some electric thermometers have a built-in calibration function, while others may require manual adjustment.

5. How can I make an electric thermometer display the temperature?

To make an electric thermometer display the temperature, you will need to connect the temperature sensor to an electrical circuit and a display. This can be achieved by following the manufacturer's instructions or using a pre-made kit. Once connected, the temperature readings should be displayed on the screen in real-time.