What classes did you mathematics majors take?

In summary: I'm done with my undergraduate degree.In summary, franznietzsche says that you have to declare your major as a freshman, and at his college you take classes in your major from the beginning. He plans on doing a double major in math and physics. He took the following at his community college: math: 1713-Calculus I, 1723-Calculus II, 2733-Calculus III, 2743-Calculus IVscience: 1713-Calculus I, 1723-Calculus II, 2733-Calculus III, 2743-Calculus IV, 3113-Intro to Linear Algebra, 3253-Differential Equations, 3353-Different
Chaotic42
I'm a freshman mathematics major (I've heard that you don't officially have a major until your Junior year, but that's what it will be). I go to a local community college and I'll be transferring to a regular university after my sophomore year.

I know that different programs will have different classes, but I'm curious about what classes you folks took. At my CC I have to take:

Calc I
Calc II
Calc III
Calc IV
Linear Algebra
Diff Equations
Chem I
Chem II
Calc based Physics I
Calc based Physics II

I was wondering what years 3 and 4 would have in store for me. I searched and didn't find anything, so if this is a repost, forgive me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was an Engineering major in college. I took :

Math I : sequences and series
Math II : complex algebra
Math III : differential equations
Math IV : vector spaces (or linear algebra, or something like that)

I think that was it.

I was a double major in Physics and Mathematics for the longest time (I finally settled with physics because the whole conflict with spherical coordinates between the two professions got to me).

I took Mathematical Statistics and Abstract Vector Spaces.

In next few semesters, I should be taking Intro to Analysis, Discrete Math, Senior level PDE and down the road, Topology.

Chaotic42 said:
I'm a freshman mathematics major (I've heard that you don't officially have a major until your Junior year,

Not in all universities. At mine you have to declare your major as a freshmen, you cannot wait because you start taking Classes in your major right away, there is no undeclared or anything like that. BUt most colleges are like that were you typically don't declare a major until junior year.

I'm currently declared as a physics major, but i plan on adding a Math double major, my planned math courses are (including advanced electives in my major):

Calc I, II, III, IV (quarter system here)
Linear Analysis I, II
Vector Analysis
Combinatorial Mathematics
INtro to Analysis I, II, III
Computational Mathematics I,II
Linear Algebra II, III
Probability & Stat fo engineers & scientists
Statistical Analysis for Engineers & Scientists
Mathematica
Introduciton to Differential Geometry and Topology
Partial Differential Equations
Introduction to Dynamical Systems

Thats for the full degree, all of my amthematics coursework, freshmen-senior year. For my physics major my coursework (minus required mathematics classes that were listed above) will be:

General Physics I, II, III
Modern Physics I, II
Physics on the Computer
Instrumentation in Experimental Physics
Electrical Measurements Laboratory
Thermal Physics I, II
Analytical Mechanics I, II
Optics
Quantum Physics Laboratory I, II, III
Quantum Mechaincs I, II
Electromagnetic Fields and Waves I, II
Theoretical Physics
Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
Special Theory of Relativity

And on top of all that, 60 quarter units of general education requirements. So I'm not entirely sure about the mathematics double major, but it is something i want to do.

Thanks for the posts, everyone. franznietzsche, I'll be right there with you. I'm planning on doing a double in math and physics myself. At my CC they're the same program, so I just declared math.

It really depends on your college. Here are the requirements (not including general reqs, which there are a bunch of) for my college:

MTH 141 College Calculus I
MTH 142 College Calculus II
MTH 241 College Calculus III
MTH 301 Basic Analysis and Proofs
MTH 306 Introduction to Differential Equations
MTH 309 Introductory Linear Algebra
MTH 419 Introduction to Algebra I
MTH 420 Introduction to Algebra II
MTH 431 Introduction to Real Variables I
MTH 432 Introduction to Real Variables II
Three 300/400-level mathematics courses (not MTH 417)
Four 300/400-level courses in mathematics or computer science (not MTH 417)

Looks like I have to take:

At my community college:

1713-Calculus I
1723-Calculus II
2733-Calculus III
2743-Calculus IV
3113-Intro to Linear Algebra
3253-Differential Equations

At University:

3053-Foundations of Mathematics
3353-Differential Equations II (elective)
4633-Advanced Calculus I
4643-Advanced Calculus II
3213-Mathematical Writing
4953-Elementary Topology (elective)

Plus other requirements.

Calc3
Foundations of Mathematics
Diff. Eq. and Linear Alg.
Combinatorics
Linear Algebra
Advanced Calculus
Game Theory
Complex Analysis
Number Theory
Modern Algebra
Independent study on Rings and Fields
Topology
Geometry
Linear Algebra (2nd course on it)

General Chemistry I and II w/labs
Organic Chemistry I and II w/labs
Physical Chemistry I and II w/labs
Inorganic Chemistry II
Intro to Micro Economics
Intro to Macro Ecnomics
Micro Econ theory
Macro Econ Theory
INtro to spanish I and II
Intermediate spanish I and II
Modern Enlightment
Ancient and Medieval thought
Intro to English
Women's Literature
Intro to Theology
Global Poverty and Justice
Film Analysis
Intro to Philosophy
Gen Bio I w/lab
Themes in Modern World History
The Roman Empire

I can't believe I took all that so far. I still have to take 1 more math class, 1 more econ class, 1 more chem class w/lab, another social science, advanced philosophy, and ethics next semester.

Here for comparison is an ancient set (1951-1955)

College Algebra (1st semester Freshman year)
College Trigonometry (HS trig not considered sufficient) (1st semester Freshman year)
Analytic Geometry (2nd semester Freshman year)
Calculus I and II (Sophomore year)
Modern Algebra (2nd semester Junior year)
Number Theory (2nd Semester Junior Year)
Ordinary Differential Equations I and II (Junior Year)
Advanced Calculus I and II (Senior year)
Numerical solutions of differential equations (honors thesis) (Senior Year)
Celestial Mechanics (honors course) (Senior Year)

and in physics,
Introductory Physics I and II
Heat and Thermodynamics
Optics
Electricity and Magnetism

Double major mathematics/physics. I took.

General physics I (Mechanics & Thermodynamics)
General physics II (Elektromagnetism & Waves)
Classical electrostatics, magnetostatics, elektrodynamics
General Relativity
Introduction to quantum mechanics (Schrödinger wave formalism)
Classical mechanics (Hamilton/Lagrange formalism)
Thermodynamics
Solid state physics (Diffraction basically)
Astronomy
Electronics

General chemistry I
General chemistry II

Calculus I (Single variable)
Calculus II (Multiple variable)
Calculus III (Functional analysis)
Calculus IV (Theory of operators)
Geometry & Linear Algebra I (Vector spaces, analytical geometry)
Geometry & Linear Algebra II (Linear operators)
Intoduction to Algebra (Group theory)
Algebra I (Ring, Module & Representation theory)
Affine & Projective Geometry
Introduction to topology
Introduction to probabilty theory, including statistics (Measure theory)
Numerical Linear Algebra

Programming I (Java)

That's about it

Dimitri Terryn said:
Programming I (Java)

Was this an elective Dimitri?

what am I, the only person on this board to major in chemistry and math instead of math and physics? As a very amateur mathematician, I have to say physics turns me completely off.

gravenewworld said:
what am I, the only person on this board to major in chemistry and math instead of math and physics?

I'm majoring in math and computer science.

Interesting...I'm noticing that Calc I-IV are different for different universities. I always assumed that would be pretty standard.

At the university I attended, Calc I and II were just numbered, no names to go with them. Calc III was multivariable calc (that's the highest calc course I took...I was not a math major). Calc IV was differential equations (I nearly took it for fun, and then the bump to my head got better). Since I was also attempting to major in chemistry, I also was required to take Linear Algebra, which was also required for the math majors (dropped chem to a minor when I realized it wasn't physically possible to complete the required number of classes to graduate in 4 years even with permission to exceed the maximum number of credits every semester). I don't know what they took after that. I only knew one math major who was normal enough to talk to :-p, and since we roomed together Sophomore year, we weren't on a speaking basis with one another until after graduation :-p

Moonbear said:
I only knew one math major who was normal enough to talk to :-p, and since we roomed together Sophomore year, we weren't on a speaking basis with one another until after graduation :-p
Hey, I'm normal! I like fishing, hiking, football, basketball, and I just happen to enjoy theoretical physics. ;)

Chaotic42 said:
Hey, I'm normal! I like fishing, hiking, football, basketball, and I just happen to enjoy theoretical physics. ;)

I didn't say there weren't normal people in math, they're just harder to find. :wink: My roommate (we're best friends again...just took a few years to recover from being roommates...sometimes friends shouldn't live together) is pretty normal, and her husband has a PhD in math, and he's pretty normal too. At least as normal as someone willing to be friends with me can be. :smile:

Chaotic42 said:

Not normal. Better than normal, but still not normal.

Chrono said:
Was this an elective Dimitri?

It was required. God know why, I don't think I learned any real programming skills there.

For those who have already taken these Mathematics courses and such, what grades did you receive? Just out of pure curiosity.

dekoi said:
For those who have already taken these Mathematics courses and such, what grades did you receive? Just out of pure curiosity.

Calculus I and II I've gotten an A in, easily. Calculus III, in which I'm in now, I don't think I'll be so lucky. Different instructor, so I have to get used to his way. I'm sure you know how it is.

Dimitri, I don't see how that would be required for you. What does programming have to do with your majors?

dekoi said:

Well, half-way into the semester I have a 100 in Calc I. It's pretty easy though.

I don't understand the Calc class breakdown either...

For me it is/was:

Calculus 1 (Limits, Differentiation, some Integration)
Calculus 2 (Inverse Functions, Integration theory, L'Hospital's, Series)
Calculus 3 (Multivariable Calculus)
Calculus 4 / Also called Ordinary Differential equations

That's just a quick breakdown of course, there was other things taught in all those classes, but those were major topics.

I'm seeing Calculus 4 and Differential equations classes on the same schedule? Do they teach ODE's and PDE's in one class or something?

Maxwell said:
Calculus 1 (Limits, Differentiation, some Integration)
Calculus 2 (Inverse Functions, Integration theory, L'Hospital's, Series)
Calculus 3 (Multivariable Calculus)
Calculus 4 / Also called Ordinary Differential equations

That's exactly the way they have it at my school.

Maxwell said:
I don't understand the Calc class breakdown either...
Do they teach ODE's and PDE's in one class or something?
I'm not sure. I've asked some of the students what happens with their different classes and they just scoff at me being in Calc I.

"You just worry about passing Calc I"

I need to bring my bat to school tomorrow. :-p

At my school ordinary differentail equations comes directly after calc. 3. I did not know that it was also classified as calc. 4. I do plan on taking it though, even though I do not need to. I am going to take it over the summer just for fun.

I hear a lot of people that are majoing in physics plan on doing a double major along with mathematics, does anyone here plan on minoring in mathematics? Is it even worth it? Would minoring in math along with a physics major help someone get into a better graduate school?

1st yr
calculus in 1 variable
matrix theory

2nd yr
multivariable calculus
intro to ordinary differential equations
intro to abstract algebra

3rd yr
advanced calculus
more abstract algebra
more ordinary differential equations
partial differential equations
complex variables
discrete & combinatorics, etc

4th yr
real analysis
complex analysis
dynamical systems
more abstract algebra
linear algebra
history of math

5th yr
yet more abstract algebra
more real analysis
functional analysis (I'm an undergrad so I might need special permission)
set theory
partial differential equations

Last edited:
can you normally chose electives that aren't part of your major? I don't know whether to major in math/compsci or math/physics :frown:

Math is backgound for sciences and engineering. you learn compsc you need math, if you learn physics, math is also neccessary.
Choosing math/compsci or math/physics is up to what you really like, but Do both if you have time is my real suggestion..:biggrin:
Hey, don't tell me that people are doing something different from what I suggest :wink: :biggrin:

Krazie said:
I hear a lot of people that are majoing in physics plan on doing a double major along with mathematics, does anyone here plan on minoring in mathematics? Is it even worth it? Would minoring in math along with a physics major help someone get into a better graduate school?

At my school it comes out to two extra classes, so there is no way i won't have the minor, there's just no reason not to do it, for just two extra classes (all the other classes are already included in my physics major). AS for helping grad school admisions and whatnot i don't really know, so i shal defer to the mor knowledgeable on that count...

I go to a 2-year community college right now, but at the university that I plan on transfering to you have to take 5 extra classes. So I plan on taking one of these five classes each semester instead of one of the classes for my major and just going one extra semester. I think that only one extra semester is not that bad.

I didn't major in math, but here's what I took for math as an engineering undergrad:

1st year:
Calculus I-II-III
Differential Equations
Probability and Statistics
(I went over the summer, too)

2nd year:
Advanced Calculus
Linear Algebra
Problem Solving Seminar (for the Putnam Exam, on which I got 3 points :redface:)
Complex Variables

3rd year:
Computer Science I
Partial Differential Equations

4th year:
Modeling and Analysis of Uncertainty (more stats)

Motifs said:
Math is backgound for sciences and engineering. you learn compsc you need math, if you learn physics, math is also neccessary.
Choosing math/compsci or math/physics is up to what you really like, but Do both if you have time is my real suggestion..:biggrin:
Hey, don't tell me that people are doing something different from what I suggest :wink: :biggrin:

I'd try to do both, too. I actually wanted to, but I couldn't take physics, so I opted for geology instead. However, I may get my chance since I might be there an extra year anyway. Might as well take classes that I want to take since I have to be there for my extra one or two classes.

Related to What classes did you mathematics majors take?

1. What are the core classes required for a mathematics major?

The core classes required for a mathematics major typically include calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and differential equations. These courses provide a foundation in fundamental mathematical concepts and techniques.

2. Are there any advanced courses that mathematics majors must take?

Yes, mathematics majors are typically required to take advanced courses in areas such as abstract algebra, real analysis, and complex analysis. These courses build upon the core classes and provide a deeper understanding of mathematical theory and applications.

3. Can mathematics majors choose electives in specific areas of interest?

Yes, most mathematics programs allow students to choose elective courses in specific areas of interest, such as statistics, applied mathematics, or mathematical modeling. This allows students to tailor their education to their career goals or personal interests.

4. Are there any computer science or programming courses required for a mathematics major?

Some mathematics programs may require students to take courses in computer science or programming, especially if the program has a focus on applied mathematics or data analysis. However, these courses are not typically required for all mathematics majors.

5. Are there any non-mathematical courses required for a mathematics major?

In addition to mathematics courses, most programs also require students to take courses in other disciplines such as physics, chemistry, or economics. These courses help students develop a well-rounded understanding of how mathematics can be applied in different fields.