Feynman Lectures: High School Student Requirements

• Thread starter khil_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lectures
In summary, Feynman's famous lectures from 1962 can be accessed through a 3 volume set or online videos. While the lectures are aimed at college students, there are also chapters that use high school level mathematics. It is recommended for high school students to read them before going to college. Although some of the math may be difficult to understand, Feynman's explanations are clear and his ability to convey complex ideas in simple terms is exceptional. The Messenger Series from 1964 is also available for anyone interested in science.
khil_phys
I'm a high school student. I wanted to know if I can go for the Feynman lectures. Please notify me about the mathematical and other requirements for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feynman is long dead, so no, you can't go to his live lectures. =)
His lectures are in a 3 volume set and can be read by anyone. His videos can also be easily seen online just by Googling.

First it's Feynman with one <n>. Second, his famous lectures from '62 which are found in printed form are delivered to an audience of college students, not HS. Thus the mathematics involved is typically college (partial derivatives, multiple integrals, differential equations, linear algebra for QM part,...).

BUT there are chapters especially in the first 2 volumes which use HS mathematics and can be read & understood by an HS student, which is why it's recommendable to read them before going to college.

Last edited:
Definitely: YES! And I encourage you.

Even if you don't understand some of the math, you will likely understand his explanations. After you learn the math, the real trick is figuring out what the math means...that's where guys like Feynman excel...

I wish I knew of the feynman lectures in high school

enjoy!

As stated above, even if you don't quite get all the math, he is amazing at expressing ideas in layman terms. I am sure anyone interested in any science will find him fascinating. You can watch the Messenger Series (from 1964) here, legally:
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.HTML

1. What is the Feynman Lectures?

The Feynman Lectures are a series of physics lectures by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman, originally given as a course at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in the 1960s. They are considered to be one of the most influential physics textbooks and are widely used in introductory physics courses.

2. Are the Feynman Lectures suitable for high school students?

The original lectures were intended for undergraduate and graduate students, but Feynman himself believed that high school students could also benefit from them. However, the lectures may be challenging for some high school students as they cover advanced topics in physics.

3. Do high school students need any prerequisite knowledge before studying the Feynman Lectures?

Ideally, high school students should have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before diving into the Feynman Lectures. Some knowledge of calculus and basic physics concepts would also be helpful.

4. Are there any additional resources that can help high school students understand the Feynman Lectures?

Yes, there are numerous online resources and study guides available that can help high school students understand the concepts covered in the Feynman Lectures. It is also recommended to work through practice problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Can high school students use the Feynman Lectures as a replacement for a traditional physics textbook?

The Feynman Lectures can be a valuable supplement to a traditional physics textbook, but they may not cover all the topics typically taught in high school physics courses. It is best to consult with a teacher or school curriculum to determine if the Feynman Lectures can be used as the primary textbook for a course.