Looking for a Linear Algebra Project

In summary, the speaker is in an Intro to Linear Algebra class and is interested in doing a project in scientific computing with a specific application to astronomy for extra credit. They have asked the professor for guidance, but have not received much help. The speaker is a novice in Linear Algebra and is unsure what kind of project would be suitable for this class. They are seeking advice and resources on how to apply Linear Algebra in real-world scenarios, particularly for converting problems into systems of equations and curve fitting for two-dimensional experimental data. The speaker's friends are also working on a project that uses Linear Algebra in face recognition software.
lubuntu
I am in an Intro to Linear Algebra class and we can get some extra credit points but working on a project and producing a 10 page paper. I am interested in doing something in scientific computing, if I could find something with a specific application to astronomy I would be pretty excited. I tried to ask the professor to point me in the right direction but he hasn't been much help yet. Since I am such a novice in L.A. I'm not really sure what kind a project of this kind would look like. Does anyone have any advice or resources to look at.

Btw, in class we don't cover many applications of L.A. what parts of Linear Algebra will really help me figure out how to covert a given problem into a system of equations,etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Curve Fitting of two-dimensional experimental, or tabular-recorded data. The real-world applications for this are extremely plentiful.

Some friends of mine are taking a large project in maths this year that will use linear algebra in face recognition software; given that they're quite familiar with LA by now and it's worth a significant fraction of their degree I'm not sure how easily you could produce something smaller on it, but thought I'd mention the connection.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their representation in vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics. It provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems and understanding relationships between different variables.

3. What are some real-life examples of linear algebra?

Some real-life examples of linear algebra include calculating the shortest path between two points, predicting stock market trends, optimizing traffic flow, and creating 3D computer graphics.

4. What are some potential project ideas for linear algebra?

Some potential project ideas for linear algebra include analyzing NBA player statistics to predict team performance, developing algorithms for image compression, and using linear regression to analyze housing prices in a particular city.

5. Do I need programming skills for a linear algebra project?

While programming skills are not a requirement for a linear algebra project, they can be helpful in implementing and visualizing complex calculations. However, there are also plenty of project ideas that can be completed using basic mathematical software such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha.