Notation related to quotient fields

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the irreducibility of a polynomial f(x) in Z_2[x] and finding the quotient field E and its elements, specifically the image of x denoted by α and the meaning of E*. Some clarification is requested regarding the meaning of E*. The star notation in algebra is often used to indicate the set without zero-dividers.
fortissimo

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = x6 + x3 + 1 in Z_2[x]. Show that f(x) is irreducible. Let E = Z_2[x]/(f(x)),
and let α denote the image of x in the quotient field. Show that E* = <α>.

Homework Equations

I have solved the first part, but what does E* mean? I have seen the asterix in connection with dual spaces before, but I reckon it means something else here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be nice if someone could give some directions...

Hi fortissimo! :smile:

I do not understand what you mean with the image of x in the quotient field.

But I do know that the star notation in algebra usually means the set without the zero-dividers.
Hope this helps.

Thanks!

What is a quotient field?

A quotient field is a field that is obtained by dividing a larger field by a smaller field. It contains elements that are fractions of elements in the larger field.

What is the notation for a quotient field?

The notation for a quotient field is K(A), where K is the larger field and A is the smaller field being divided out.

How is a quotient field different from a field extension?

A quotient field is a specific type of field extension where the larger field is divided by a smaller field. In a field extension, the smaller field is embedded into the larger field, but not necessarily divided out.

Can a quotient field have multiple notations?

Yes, a quotient field can have multiple notations depending on the context and the specific fields being used. Other notations may include K(A,B) or K(A)/B.

What is the importance of quotient fields in mathematics?

Quotient fields are important in mathematics as they allow for the construction of new fields from existing ones, providing a way to generalize and extend mathematical concepts. They also have applications in areas such as algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography.