Positive charge distributed uniformly along y axis

In summary: OUNT OF POSITIVE CHARGE DISTRIBUTED ALONG Y-AXIS, NEGATIVE CHARGE ON X-AXIS: In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question involving the distribution of positive charge along the y-axis and a negative point charge on the x-axis. The task is to determine the x and y components of the force exerted by the charge distribution on the negative charge. The conversation includes a calculated value for the y force and a question about how to solve for the x force. The suggested approach involves using integrals and trigonometric substitution to find the components of the Coulomb force.
nateastle
I have a physics question that states:
An amount of positive charge is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y=o and y=a. A negative point charge -q lies on teh positive x=axis a distance r from the origin. Derive the x and y compontes of the force that the charge distribution exerts on Q exerts on q.

I have figured the y force to be: (Qqk/a)[(q/x)-(1/(a^2 +x^2)^1/2)] I did this by drawing out the graph and by doing an intgral from 0 to a on dfsin theta. Where theta is the angle where the line comes from the top of through q. I then used trig substitution to figure out what sin theta is. The part that I am stuck on is how do I solve for the force on the X axis.

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nateastle said:
I have a physics question that states:
An amount of positive charge is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y=o and y=a. A negative point charge -q lies on teh positive x=axis a distance r from the origin. Derive the x and y compontes of the force that the charge distribution exerts on Q exerts on q.

I have figured the y force to be: (Qqk/a)[(q/x)-(1/(a^2 +x^2)^1/2)] I did this by drawing out the graph and by doing an intgral from 0 to a on dfsin theta. Where theta is the angle where the line comes from the top of through q. I then used trig substitution to figure out what sin theta is. The part that I am stuck on is how do I solve for the force on the X axis.
The force on q of a charge [itex]dQ = \frac{Q}{a}dy[/itex] is:

[tex]F = \frac{kq}{(r^2+y^2)}dQ = \frac{kqQ}{a(r^2+y^2)}dy[/tex]

So the components of the Coulomb force on q would be:

[tex]F_x = \frac{kqQ}{a}\int_0^a \frac{1}{y^2+r^2}cos\theta dy[/tex]

[tex]F_y = \frac{kqQ}{a}\int_0^a \frac{1}{y^2+r^2}sin\theta dy[/tex]

where [itex]sin\theta = y/\sqrt{y^2+r^2}[/itex] and [itex]cos\theta = r/\sqrt{y^2+r^2}[/itex]

Work out those integrals and you should get the right answer.

AM

I would advise you to continue using mathematical methods to solve for the force on the X axis. You can start by setting up a coordinate system and defining the variables involved, such as the distance r, the charge Q, and the charge q. Then, using Coulomb's law, you can calculate the magnitude of the force on the X axis as a function of these variables. You can also use vector analysis to determine the direction of the force. It may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller components and use trigonometry to solve for the components of the force. Additionally, you can check your calculations and equations to ensure that they are correct and consistent. If you are still having trouble, I suggest seeking assistance from a colleague or a mentor who may have more experience in this area.

What is a positive charge distributed uniformly along the y axis?

A positive charge distributed uniformly along the y axis refers to a scenario in which a fixed amount of positive charge is evenly spread out along the length of the y axis.

How is the distribution of positive charge along the y axis calculated?

The distribution of positive charge along the y axis can be calculated by dividing the total amount of charge by the length of the y axis.

What is the effect of a positive charge distributed uniformly along the y axis on surrounding objects?

The effect of a positive charge distributed uniformly along the y axis is that it will create an electric field that points away from the y axis and will exert a repulsive force on any nearby positive charges.

Can a positive charge be distributed non-uniformly along the y axis?

Yes, a positive charge can be distributed non-uniformly along the y axis. This means that the charge is not evenly spread out and may be concentrated in certain areas along the y axis.

What are some real-life examples of a positive charge distributed uniformly along the y axis?

One example of a positive charge distributed uniformly along the y axis is a long, thin wire with a positive charge running along its length. Another example is a positively charged rod placed vertically along the y axis.