Help with satellites and planets orbital motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a Martian civilization's attempt to develop space travel capabilities by building a prototype satellite with a mass of 578kg to be put in orbit 602km above the surface of Mars. The conversation then mentions the calculation of the satellite's orbital velocity and period, as well as how these values would change if the satellite's mass or distance from Mars were to be doubled. The solution provided is to use the formula v = 2∏r/T to calculate the period, and to redo the equations with the new data for parts C and D.
jolynnnicole
A Martian civilization is attempting to develp the capabilities for space travel. They have built a prototype satellite with a mass of 578kg that they plan to put in orbit Mars a distance of 602km above the surface of mars.

A) Using the data provided, calculate the orbital velocity of the satellite.
B)Find the period of the satellite.
C)How would you answer to (a) change if the satellite was twice as massive? Explain how you know.
D) How would you answer to (a) change if the satellite was to be twice as far from the surface of Mars?

Please explain thoroughly. I really don't understand any of this stuff and need help studying.

The attempt at a solution
I could only do part A and I used the square root of Gm/r which equals
the square root of (6.67E-11)*(6.42E23)/3398km which equals 3398000m and my answer was 3549.921453 m/s

Everything else I'm soooo lost and going to cry bc I don't understand

Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing the tangential velocity you should find the angular velocity and that should give you the period, for C and D just redo the equations with the new data and describe the change

I guess you don't need to use angular velocity, you could use v = 2∏r/T, where T is the period.

1. What is orbital motion?

Orbital motion refers to the path that a satellite or planet takes as it revolves around a larger body, such as a star or a planet.

2. What causes orbital motion?

Orbital motion is caused by the gravitational pull between two objects. The larger object exerts a stronger gravitational force, causing the smaller object to orbit around it.

3. How do satellites maintain their orbits?

Satellites maintain their orbits by continuously moving at a specific speed and direction. This speed is known as orbital velocity and is determined by the mass of the satellite and the gravitational pull of the larger body.

4. What factors affect orbital motion?

The main factors that affect orbital motion are the mass of the objects involved, the distance between them, and the gravitational force between them. Other factors such as atmospheric drag and external forces can also affect orbital motion.

5. How do scientists track and predict orbital motion?

Scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to track and predict orbital motion. These calculations take into account the gravitational forces and other factors that affect the motion of satellites and planets in space.