What is the Tension Force on Each Wire of a Hanging Traffic Light?

In summary, the problem involves a 20kg traffic light hanging from 3 wires at right angles to each other. The light is positioned symmetrically below the attachment point of the wires. The task is to find the magnitude of tension force on each wire. This requires knowledge of 3d vectors and solving for the tension in each wire using the given information.
arpitm08
3d vector tension problem!

Homework Statement

A traffic light with a mass of 20kg hangs from 3 wires, each of length 15 meters. The wire are at right angles to each other and the light hangs below the point of attachment to the three wires and is a position symmetric to the wires. What is the magnitude of the tension (force) on each wire?

Homework Equations

I don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't taken physics yet, so i don't know about tension force that much. I know that it has something to do with 3d vectors, because that's the chapter we are in right now. If someone could give me something to start on that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't see how you can do this without know HOW far below the point of attachement the light is.

My teacher explained it to us now. Its easy once you realize that the 90 degree angles mean that it is the 3d coordinate axis. Then the resultant tension force is sqrt(3)T, where T is the tension in each string. Then you set that equal to 20g and you solve for T.

1. What is a "3d vector tension problem"?

A "3d vector tension problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object in three-dimensional space. It typically involves determining the magnitude and direction of the tension forces on multiple objects connected by ropes or strings.

2. How do you solve a "3d vector tension problem"?

To solve a "3d vector tension problem", you first need to draw a free body diagram of the system, including all the objects and the forces acting on them. Then, you can use the laws of motion and trigonometry to calculate the tension forces in each direction. Finally, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities to find the magnitude and direction of the overall tension force.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a "3d vector tension problem"?

Some common mistakes when solving a "3d vector tension problem" include forgetting to draw a free body diagram, not considering all the forces acting on the objects, and mixing up the components of the tension forces. It is also important to pay attention to the orientation of the angles and use the correct trigonometric functions.

4. How does the angle affect the tension force?

The angle between the tension force and the horizontal direction can affect the magnitude and direction of the tension force. As the angle increases, the vertical component of the tension force increases while the horizontal component decreases. This means that the overall magnitude of the tension force may change, and its direction may also vary.

5. Can a "3d vector tension problem" have more than one solution?

Yes, a "3d vector tension problem" can have more than one solution. This can happen when there are multiple objects and tension forces in different directions involved. It is important to carefully consider all the given information and use the appropriate equations to find the correct solution.