Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit)?

In summary, the question asks to find the potential difference across a resistor in an RC circuit with given values for resistance, capacitance, and voltage. The attempted solution involved using the equation V = E (1 - e^ -t/RC), but yielded a result of 4V, which does not align with the expected outcome. There may be an error in either the provided numbers or the equation itself.
grouchy

Homework Statement

For the RC Circuit (R = 1M Ohm, C = 1 Micro Farad and E = 30 V) find the potential difference across the resistor 10 sec after the switch is closed.

Homework Equations

V = E (1 - e^ -t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the above equation but I get it wrong (it should be 4V) I think I might be putting in something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is something wrong with your numbers and equation, because if the context is charging the capacitor with the resistor in series, the capacitor would be charged in 10 seconds, and the voltage across the resistor would have decreased to zero. But in your equation, the voltage (V) would approach 30V, so it doesn't make sense.

I would first check to make sure that all of the values used in the equation are correct and consistent. This includes double-checking the units of each quantity (Ohms for resistance, Farads for capacitance, and Volts for potential difference). I would also check if the equation being used is appropriate for the given circuit and if any assumptions or simplifications were made in its derivation.

If the equation and values are correct, I would then check if the calculation was done correctly, paying attention to any potential errors in arithmetic or algebra. If the result still does not match the expected value of 4V, I would suggest checking the circuit setup and connections to make sure there are no errors or malfunctions.

Additionally, I would also consider other factors that may affect the potential difference, such as the initial conditions of the circuit, any external influences, and the behavior of the components over time. It may also be helpful to consult with peers or reference materials to verify the solution and identify any potential mistakes.

What is Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit)?

Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit) refers to the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit that contains a resistor and a capacitor. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy required to move an electric charge from one point to another in the circuit.

How is Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit) calculated?

Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit) is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the potential difference (V) is equal to the product of the current (I) and the resistance (R) in the circuit. It can also be calculated using the formula V = Q/C, where Q is the charge on the capacitor and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

What factors affect the Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit)?

The Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit) is affected by the resistance of the resistor, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the current flowing through the circuit. It is also affected by the frequency of the alternating current in the circuit.

Why is Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit) important?

Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit) is important because it determines the flow of current in a circuit and affects the overall behavior of the circuit. It is also used in various electronic devices and systems, such as filters, amplifiers, and signal processing circuits.

How is Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit) related to power dissipation?

The Potential Difference Across Resistor (RC Circuit) is directly related to power dissipation, which is the rate at which electrical energy is converted into heat in a circuit. A higher potential difference across a resistor will result in a higher power dissipation, causing the resistor to heat up more quickly.