Compound Angle Problem: Cosine and Quadrant Solutions

• Thread starter Random-Hero-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, angle 2x lies in the fourth quadrant and has a cosine value of 8/17. Using this information, we can determine that angle x is in the second quadrant and has a cosine value of -root(25/34). Using a calculator, we can find the measure of x in radians and verify our answer for part c by using the original equation and adjusting for the quadrant. There was a typo in the original work for part c, but the value for cos(x) is correct.
Random-Hero-

Homework Statement

It's the last dang question and I can't quite seem to wrap my head around it. >: (The angle 2x lies in the fourth quadrant such that cos 2x = 8/17

a) Sketch the location of angle 2x.

b) Which Quadrant contains angle x?

c) Determine an exact value for cos x.

d) Use a calculator to determine the measure of x, in radians.

e) Use a calculator to verify your answer for part c).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I can't really sketch but I'll try explaining it: 8/17 is a little less than 1/2, and since it's in the fourth quadrant, 2x must be just a little less than 300 degrees.

b) If 2x is a little less than 300, but it's certainly bigger than 270 (indeed cos270=0) so 270<2x<300, which implies 135<x<150, meaning x is in the second quadrant.

c) Here you'd use the identity for cos(2x):

cos(2x)= 18/7

2cos^2x - 1 = 18/7

cosx = - root(25/34)

N.B. we only take the negative root because the positive one would give us an angle in the first or 4th quadrants. Check it and see.

d) Just use your calculator to find x using your answer from c).

e) Use your calculator to solve for cosx using the original equation, but don't forget that when you do cosINV(8/17) on your calculator it'll give you the angle in the first quadrant, so you'll need to subtract that angle from 360 (in degrees) or 2pi (in radians) to get the one in the 4th quadrant.

Since my textbook doesn't have the answer in the back of it, can anyone tell me if I am right, or at least on the right track? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a typo in your work in c)
cos(2x)= 18/7
That should be cos(2x) = 8/17. Your value for cos(x) looks OK, though.

For part e, remember that x is an angle in the 2nd quadrant.
Also, the equation is cos(2x) = 8/17, so 2x = cos-1(8/17). This is where the fiddling around to get 2x into the 4th quadrant comes into play.

Related to Compound Angle Problem: Cosine and Quadrant Solutions

1. What is a compound angle problem?

A compound angle problem involves finding the trigonometric ratio of a combination of two or more angles. These angles can be in any quadrant and can be added, subtracted, or multiplied together.

2. How do I solve a compound angle problem?

To solve a compound angle problem, you can use the trigonometric identities such as the sum and difference formulas, double angle formulas, or half angle formulas. You can also use the unit circle to find the values of the trigonometric ratios for the compound angle.

3. What are some common examples of compound angle problems?

Some common examples of compound angle problems include finding the sine, cosine, or tangent of a sum or difference of two angles, finding the value of an unknown angle in a trigonometric equation with multiple angles, or finding the area or perimeter of a triangle with given side lengths and angles.

4. How can I check my answer for a compound angle problem?

You can check your answer for a compound angle problem by using a calculator to find the value of the trigonometric ratio for the given compound angle. You can also use the inverse trigonometric functions to verify your answer.

5. What are some tips for solving compound angle problems?

Some tips for solving compound angle problems include using the appropriate trigonometric identity, breaking down the problem into simpler parts, using the unit circle to find values of trigonometric ratios, and being careful with signs and angles in different quadrants.