Coefficient of Kinetic Friction on an Incline

In summary, the problem involves a block being released from rest on an inclined plane with a distance of 3.5 m and time of 4.8 s, at an angle of 31 degrees and with acceleration of gravity as 9.8 m/s^2. The magnitude of the block's acceleration was found to be 5.05 m/s^2. For the coefficient of Kinetic friction, the formula Mk = tan(theta) was used, resulting in a value of 0.601. However, this was found to be incorrect and the correct formula was determined to be Fy = mgsin(theta) + Mkmgcos(theta) = ma, resulting
graywolf27
Here is the problem: A block is released from rest on an inclined plane and moves 3.5 m during the next 4.8 s at an angle of 31 degrees. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block? what is the coefficient of Kinetic Friction Muk for the incline?
- I already identified Xinitial = 0, Vxinitial =0, distance = 3.5 m, time = 4.8 s, theta = 31
- to get the acceleration I used asubx = gsin(31) which gave me 5.05 m/s^2
But then again there is this formula Xfinal = Xinitial + Vxinitial*t +0.5at^2 which at the end becomes a=2distance/t^2 giving me a value for a=0.304 m/s^2 and this is the point were I get confused :frown: .

- For the coefficient of Kinetic friction, I used free body diagrams which gave me a formula of Mk=mgsin(theta)/mgcos(theta) then Mk=tan(theta) I substituded Mk=tan(31) and got an answer of Mk=0.601
Am I on the right track? Any help will be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your acceleration is wrong, because you didn't take in account friction. Start from Newton's 2nd Law.

Basically I have the wrong formulas then... I found out, by re-reading my book that the Fnet = m*a in Newton's Second Law which means that I have to find first the Net Force? I already have the value for mass = 9Kg and the acting forces are the ones who make the object move? Because according to my problem, it starts moving from rest which mean that only the object's mass affected by gravity makes the force I got confused...

and the kinetic friction value is not given also, and I don't know if the one I got is right Mk=tan(31) Mk=0.601

Are you familiar with the concept of Free Body Diagram and Newton's Laws?, you are just pluggin numbers in formulas...

yeah I have the hang of free body diagrams but I still get confused... I already found the Mk = 0.56 and I'm missing the acceleration of the object. By using the free body diagrams I got Fy= mgsin(theta)+Mkmgcos(theta) =ma then I got for a= gsin(theta)+Mkgcos(theta)

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline is a measure of the resistance of an object to motion on an inclined surface. It is a dimensionless quantity that is the ratio of the force of friction between the object and the surface to the normal force between the object and the surface.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction can be determined by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline can be affected by several factors such as the texture of the surface, the weight of the object, and the angle of the incline. Rougher surfaces tend to have a higher coefficient of friction, while smoother surfaces have a lower coefficient of friction. The weight of the object can also affect the normal force, which in turn affects the coefficient of friction.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline affect the motion of an object?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline determines the amount of resistance an object experiences as it moves on the incline. A higher coefficient of friction means that the object will experience more resistance and will require more force to move. This can result in slower motion or even a complete stop of the object.

What are some real-world applications of the coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline is an important concept in many areas of science and engineering. It is used in the design of ramps, slides, and other inclined surfaces to ensure that objects can safely move on them. It is also essential in the study of machines and their efficiency, as well as in the analysis of sports and athletic movements on inclined surfaces.