Mastering in Aerospace after physics or mech.?

In summary, a Freshman is considering majoring in Aerospace and is unsure if they should major in Physics or Mechanical Engineering first. They are advised that engineering students are taught differently from basic science majors and should contact the aerospace department at their school for more information. It is suggested that a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering may be a better option for a future Master's in Aerospace.
Mr. A
Hi, I am an Freshman doing basic math, science classes. I have plans to master in Aerospace. My college offers only masters in Aero.

Which way is better. Should I major in Physics or Mechanical and then go for Aero major?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd probably do fine in either.

I'd probably lean towards the ME, though. Engineering students are taught differently than physics students. Not better... just differently.

Anyways, talk with the aerospace department at the school, and see which major generally does better when transferring in.

Enigma pretty much sumed it up. All engineering students, regardless of their specialty, are taught differently from basic science majors. Neither is better than the other.

Also, like Enimga said, contact the head of your aerospace department and ask them which major would be best. People within the aerospace department at your school will be the most help to you.

As for my opinion, I believe you'd be better off getting your BS in Mechanical Engineering.

Thanks guys for replying. I was thinking of Bachelors in Physics as I was not quite sure of Masters in Aero. I will contact the Aero Dept. for more info.

Thanks. :)

1. What is the difference between mastering in aerospace after physics and after mechanical engineering?

Mastering in aerospace after physics focuses more on the fundamental principles of physics and their application in the aerospace industry. On the other hand, mastering in aerospace after mechanical engineering involves a more practical approach to designing and building aerospace systems.

2. What are the career opportunities after mastering in aerospace?

After mastering in aerospace, you can pursue a career in various fields such as aircraft design, space exploration, satellite technology, and defense systems. You can also work in research and development, aerospace consulting, or in the government sector.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in physics or mechanical engineering to pursue a Master's in Aerospace?

While a background in physics or mechanical engineering can be helpful, it is not always a requirement. Some universities offer bridging courses for students from different backgrounds to catch up on the necessary knowledge before starting their Master's in Aerospace.

4. What skills are required to excel in a Master's in Aerospace program?

To excel in a Master's in Aerospace program, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and mechanical engineering. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for success in the aerospace industry.

5. What are the current advancements in the aerospace industry that students can expect to learn about in a Master's program?

The aerospace industry is constantly evolving, and students can expect to learn about the latest advancements in areas such as unmanned aerial vehicles, hypersonic flight, sustainable aviation, and space exploration. They may also learn about emerging technologies like 3D printing and artificial intelligence in aerospace systems.