Advice needed regarding Math classes

• Thread starter syphonation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary: Yeah, I agree. It might be listed as matrix algebra or vectors or something, so definitely look into this.As for taking ODE and Calc 3 at the same time, it should be no problem. There are a few cases where Calc 3 results are used, but the majority of ODE is based on calc 1 and 2.JimmyNo linear algebra course? How can such an important topic be left out?! It'll surely be covered somewhere. Check your course catalog again.I checked my school's website, and according to the Differential Equations syllabus, Calc III is a pre-req.Well, if you think the advice
syphonation
Hey everybody. I hope I posted this in the right section; it was either here or in Diff. Equations..

Anyway, here's the deal: I'm currently a sophomore at a community college, planning to transfer to a University in Fall of 2009 to finish my BS. By the end of next semester (Spring '08), I will have "Engineering Standing" by the standards of the subject University.

I am in Calc II right now because I had to take College Algebra and Trig my first semester of college to prepare me for Calc I. Anyway, I only have 1 semester left here before I move and was hoping to get all of my Calculus classes out of the way before I do so. I know of at least 1 person in the past - and a couple people I have classes with now - that have taken Calc III and Differential Equations at the same time.

Now, the Diff. Equations class at my community college transferes to the University as Calc IV..so..um..yeah.

My question is, is taking Calc III and Differential Equations at the same time - and passing both - a realistic goal?

It seems like trying to take Calc I and II at the same time, but I don't know. Maybe there isn't a lot of Calc III used in Diff. Equations?

Thanks for your input.

Jimmy

Physics news on Phys.org
Is Calc 3 a prereq for Differential Equations? If so, don't take them at the same time.

Ordinary Diff. Eq. doesn't really touch on many Calc III topics. You should be fine taking Diff. Eq. after a Calc II course.
(Note: for me, Calc III was more difficult than Diff. Eq., but both are really fun classes.)

I checked my school's website, and according to the Differential Equations syllabus, Calc III is a pre-req.

However, like I said before, I've only known a couple people who have taken Diff. Equations, all of whom were taking Calc III coincidally.

I will see how I end up doing in Calc II first. Maybe then if I feel confident I'll take them both.

Thanks for your replies.

Jimmy

I took Diff Eq after Calc III (assuming that's multivariable/vector calculus), and I did perfectly fine. What helps you more is taking linear algebra before Diff Eq and Calc III, but I'm sure you can survive it. You might see a little bit of calc III topics like partial differentiations, but those are not very hard.

Yes, the Calc III is multivariable. Unfortunately the school I am currently attending doesn't have a linear algebra course.

Thanks for the reassurance, guys :cool:

Jimmy

No linear algebra course? How can such an important topic be left out?! It'll surely be covered somewhere. Check your course catalog again.

syphonation said:
I checked my school's website, and according to the Differential Equations syllabus, Calc III is a pre-req.

Well, if you think the advice of a couple guys on the internet is more valuable than the advice of the faculty at your school, you'll know what to do.

Defennder said:
No linear algebra course? How can such an important topic be left out?! It'll surely be covered somewhere. Check your course catalog again.

Yeah, I agree. It might be listed as matrix algebra or vectors or something, so definitely look into this.

As for taking ODE and Calc 3 at the same time, it should be no problem. There are a few cases where Calc 3 results are used, but the majority of ODE is based on calc 1 and 2.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, if you think the advice of a couple guys on the internet is more valuable than the advice of the faculty at your school, you'll know what to do.

I agree with this: it is important to look at prerequisites, since they are set by the people responsible for teaching the course. Names like "Calculus III" and "Differential Equations" are so broad that it is impossible to tell what is in each course from university to university. It would thus be unwise for someone on the internet to give you advice on taking them concurrently, when this contradicts the advice of your faculty.

I'll check, but I'm 99% sure that there is no Linear Algebra course. Keep in mind that this is just a local community college. I would say that less than 5% of people that are enrolled will do anything beyond College Algebra. Most people go to earn an Associate's Degree and are done. There are only 7 people including myself in my Calculus II class.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear that Calc III and Diff. Equations should work out together.

Jimmy

Seriously, what can an associate degree can you nowadays? I'm surprised the majority aren't continuing on (if they aren't hindered by tuition fee concerns) to a bacherlor's.

And I really don't see how you can take a DE course without knowing linear algebra. You'll definitely cover linear independence of solutions to DEs in any intro DE course. The concept of linear independence comes from linear algebra. Having said that, I believe your curriculum is oddly structured.

At my Uni, Calc 3 and Linear Algebra are pre-req's for Differential Equations..

Of course most engineering programs don't require LinAlg though.. Usually just Calc 1-3, and an applied Diff Eq course..

It would be best to at least email the professor and ask if they knew anyone that has tried it.. Besides if it's a pre-req you will probably need an override to get into it anyway.

bobattopsail said:
Of course most engineering programs don't require LinAlg though.. Usually just Calc 1-3, and an applied Diff Eq course..
That's the case for my college as well, except to make matters worse, they squeeze all the linear algebra course requirements into two compulsory math modules which covers Calc I to Calc III + ODEs! As a result, the 2 math modules become very packed and virtually all maths proofs are omitted. It's no wonder EE students who haven't done any math courses outside of the two compulsory maths classes find certain inter-related math concepts hard to understand. I myself took an into linear algebra course outside of these 2 classes and am doing an intermediate level linear algebra course to plug in any gaps. I'm still wondering what other math classes to consider, though.

What are the course descriptions for each?

only the instructors at your school can answer these questions. they will choose the material and the prerequisites.

I'm fortunate to have Multi, Diff-EQ, and Linear at my local CC - it's the only one around that offers any math beyond Calculus II. I'm taking Multi and Diff-EQ this year, having taken both Calculus II and Linear together last spring (which was challenging).

My Linear class started with eight people and finished with five. I'm anticipating that Multi will have a dozen people max. It's why I'm taking all my math at the local CC. The teacher speaks English as a native language as well.

I'll be dual enrolled at UMass this year as well, and there are people there who take Multi and DiffEQ together. There is also a good number of people who take Multi during Summer Session I, and Diff-EQ during Summer Session II.

1. How can I improve my math skills?

To improve your math skills, it is important to practice regularly. This could include solving math problems, doing extra exercises, or seeking help from a tutor or teacher. It is also helpful to understand the core concepts and formulas, and to review them regularly. Additionally, using online resources or educational apps can also aid in improving math skills.

2. How do I choose the right math class for my level?

The best way to choose the right math class for your level is to first assess your current math skills and knowledge. This could include taking a placement test or discussing with a teacher or academic advisor. It is important to challenge yourself, but also ensure that you have a solid understanding of the prerequisite material before moving on to more advanced classes.

3. What should I do if I am struggling in my math class?

If you are struggling in your math class, the first step is to talk to your teacher or seek help from a tutor. They can provide additional resources and support to help you better understand the material. It is also important to practice regularly and not get discouraged. Keep a positive attitude and continue to work hard, and you will see improvement over time.

4. Is it important to take advanced math classes?

It depends on your academic and career goals. If you are pursuing a math-related field, then taking advanced math classes may be necessary to build a strong foundation and prepare for more challenging coursework. However, if math is not a major part of your career path, taking advanced math classes may not be as crucial.

5. How can I stay motivated in my math classes?

To stay motivated in your math classes, it is important to set specific goals and track your progress. This could include aiming for a certain grade or mastering a particular concept. Also, try to find the relevance of math in your daily life or future career to stay engaged. Lastly, seek support from friends, family, or teachers when you feel overwhelmed or discouraged.