Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2: Understanding "The Next Approximation

• Thread starter jackiefrost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary, the conversation discussed a question about the next approximation in the content of "The Meaning of Curl in Electrodynamics" from "The Feynman Lectures on Physics - Vol 2, Sections 3-5 and 3-6: "The Circulation of a vector field" and "The circulation around a square:Stokes' Theorem"". The person asking the question did not understand where the (delta y)^2 terms would come from in the analysis. It was explained that equation 3.33 is a truncated Taylor series and for more than one variable, this concept becomes more complex. The person asking the question then understood and thanked the expert for the clarification.
jackiefrost
I didn't want to overload the last topic, "The Meaning of Curl in Electrodynamics", but I have a question so I'll do it as a new thread.

I'm studying The Feynman Lectures on Physics - Vol 2, Sections 3-5 and 3-6: "The Circulation of a vector field" and "The circulation around a square:Stokes' Theorem". I've include a scan of these two sections at http://home.comcast.net/~perion_666/stuff/feynman1.jpg and http://home.comcast.net/~perion_666/stuff/feynman2.jpg .

In the second section, after eq. 3.33, Feynman says:
If we included the next approximation, it would involve terms in (delta y)^2 ...

My question is - what is "the next approximation" he's referring to. I don't see where any higher order terms like (delta y)^2 terms would come from in this analysis.

jf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Equation 3.33 is basically a Taylor series, truncated at the linear term. For a function of one variable,

[tex]f(x) = f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x - x_0) + \frac{1}{2} f''(x_0) (x - x_0)^2 + ... [/tex]

For more than one variable, things get messier, but it's the same general idea.

Ok, yes - I see it. I wasn't thinking about power series approximation. I guess he had to use that since he used a generalized form for the vector function C(x,y) , so C could be about anything. Thanks.

jf

Related to Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2: Understanding "The Next Approximation

1. What is the "Next Approximation" discussed in Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2?

The "Next Approximation" refers to the concept of using a series of approximations to solve complex mathematical problems in physics. It involves breaking down a problem into simpler components and using approximations to solve them, gradually getting closer to the exact solution.

2. Is Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2 suitable for beginners?

No, it is not suitable for beginners as it assumes a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is intended for advanced undergraduate or graduate students in physics.

3. What makes Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2 a valuable resource for studying physics?

The lectures are highly regarded for their clear and concise explanations of complex concepts in physics. They also provide a unique perspective and approach to solving problems, which can help students develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. Do I need to read Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 1 before reading Vol 2?

No, it is not necessary to read Vol 1 before Vol 2. Each volume covers different topics and can be read independently. However, having a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is recommended before diving into either volume.

5. Are there any online resources to supplement Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2?

Yes, there are several online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and video lectures that can provide additional support and help deepen your understanding of the material covered in Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 2.