Calculating Vector E Magnitude and Direction in Quad 4: Tips and Tricks

In summary, vector E has a magnitude of 279.51 and is in Quadrant 4. To find the direction, one can either use the angle with respect to the -y axis (26 degrees) and add 270 degrees, or use the angle with respect to the x-axis (63.4 degrees) and subtract it from 360 degrees. It can also be represented as 26 degrees from the negative y-axis or 64 degrees from the positive x-axis. Both methods are correct.
klm
vector E= (125 i - 250 j) what are the magnitude and direction?
ok so what i did was found out that vector E should be in Quad. 4. and that the magnitude will be 279.51 b/c you do the square root of 125^2 + 250^2 = 279.51. but i am having trouble understanding how to get the direction. i think my problem is trying to see how to draw the picture.
i know that you go +125 on the x-axis and then down -250 on the y axis, so the vector will be in quad 4. but what angle are you trying to find? what i did was tan^-1 (125/250) = 26 and then i added 270 and got 296 as my angle. is this the correct way to do this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing wrong with what you did. You found the angle with the -y-axis, then added 270. Sounds good to me! You are following standard practice of measuring the angle with respect to the +x axis using counterclockwise as +.

You can also, of course, start by finding the angle with respect to the x-axis using tan^-1(250/125) = 63.4 degrees below the x-axis. Subtract that from 360 and you get back to 296.6 degrees (same as you did).

Yes, that is a correct way to denote the direction of that vector. You could have also said, "26 degrees from the negative y axis" or "64 degrees from the positive x axis." That would have also been a correct representation of the direction.

thank you both very much!

1. What is the definition of vector direction?

Vector direction refers to the path or orientation of a vector in space, represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction. It is often described in terms of its angle relative to a reference axis or its components along the x, y, and z axes.

2. How is vector direction represented mathematically?

Vector direction is often represented using unit vectors, which are vectors with a magnitude of 1 that point in a specific direction. These unit vectors can be combined with scalar values to represent a vector's magnitude and direction in a coordinate system.

3. Can a vector have more than one direction?

No, a vector can only have one direction at a time. However, a vector can change direction as it moves through space, depending on the forces acting upon it.

4. How is vector direction related to vector addition and subtraction?

When adding or subtracting vectors, their directions must be taken into account. Vectors in the same direction will add or subtract to produce a new vector in that same direction, while vectors in opposite directions will cancel out or result in a new vector with a direction between them.

5. How is vector direction used in real-world applications?

Vector direction is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to describe the direction of forces, velocities, and other physical quantities. In navigation, vector direction is used to determine the heading and orientation of objects in space, such as airplanes and ships.