Circular Orbits and Motion - Satellites

In summary, a spy satellite is in a circular orbit around Earth with a period of 6.02 hours. Using Newton's form of Kepler's 3rd law, the distance of the satellite from Earth's surface can be calculated by converting the period to seconds and adding it to the radius of the Earth. The satellite's acceleration can also be determined using the equation v = sqrt(G*M Earth / r).
BlueSkyy

Homework Statement

A spy satellite is in circular orbit around Earth. It makes one revolution in 6.02 hours. (Radius of the Earth=6.371 times 106 m)

(a) How high above Earth's surface is the satellite?
(b) What is the satellite's acceleration?

Homework Equations

v = sqrt(G*M Earth / r)
Kepler's 3rd Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angular velocity to be 2.899 rad/sec...
I really don't know where to start after that

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Kepler's 3rd law? Have you learned Newton's form of Kepler's 3rd law for circular orbits?

i just found Newton's form of Kepler's 3rd law on a different website - i will see if i can get it to work...

i'm still getting a ridiculous number for the distance...i assume i use Newton's form of Kepler's 3rd law but do i keep the period in hours or seconds? argh...

BlueSkyy said:
i'm still getting a ridiculous number for the distance...i assume i use Newton's form of Kepler's 3rd law but do i keep the period in hours or seconds? argh...

The SI units are seconds, so you will have to convert. Remember the distance will be the radius of the Earth plus the satellites orbital height.

1. What is a circular orbit?

A circular orbit is the path that an object follows around another object, where the distance between the two objects remains constant. In a circular orbit, the object is constantly pulled towards the center by the force of gravity, causing it to move in a circular path.

2. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit by maintaining a delicate balance between their forward motion and the force of gravity pulling them towards the Earth. This is known as centripetal force. As long as the satellite maintains its speed and altitude, it will continue to orbit the Earth.

3. What factors affect the speed of a satellite in orbit?

The speed of a satellite in orbit is affected by several factors, including the mass of the satellite, the mass of the object it is orbiting, and the distance between the two objects. The larger the mass of the object being orbited, the faster the satellite will need to travel to maintain its orbit.

4. How do scientists calculate the trajectory of a satellite in orbit?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to calculate the trajectory of a satellite in orbit. These equations take into account the mass of the objects, their distance apart, and the speed and direction of the satellite's motion.

5. Can satellites orbit other celestial bodies besides Earth?

Yes, satellites can orbit other celestial bodies besides Earth, such as the Moon, Mars, and even asteroids. The same principles of circular motion and gravity apply to these orbits, but the specific calculations may vary depending on the characteristics of the celestial body being orbited.