Permutations With No Consecutive Numbers - Need Push In The Right Direction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the number of permutations in which i is never immediately followed by i+1, and how it is equal to D_n + D_{n-1}, where D_n is the number of derangements of a set with n elements. The conversation also mentions the equation for D_n and asks for hints on how to approach the problem. The conversation also includes a request for help with typesetting.
golmschenk
First I'd like to mention I don't want the answer, I'd just like a hint in the direction which I should start working in. I just don't know how to begin the problem.

Homework Statement

How many permutations of 1, 2, . . . , n are there in which i is never immediately
followed by i + 1, i = 1, 2, . . . , n − 1? Show your answer is equal to D[tex]_{n}[/tex] + D[tex]_{n-1}[/tex]. (superscripts should be subscripts, I'm not sure why they aren't)

D[tex]_{n}[/tex] being the number of derangements of a set with n elements.

Homework Equations

D[tex]_{n}[/tex] = [tex]^{n}_{k=0}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex](-1)[tex]^{k}[/tex]([tex]\stackrel{n}{k}[/tex])(n-k)!

(also, if someone wouldn't mind telling me how to get the conditions around the sigma for the sum correctly that would be great)

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/bn]

Again, it's the beginning I've been having problems with. I started counting cases, but that definitely seems like the long and difficult way of solving this. I've tried to simplify D[tex]_{n}[/tex] + D[tex]_{n-1}[/tex] to see if it might give me some hint into what I should be doing, but haven't gotten anything out of it. Any hints? Maybe all it will take would even just be a one word hint. I just need to get a push in the right direction. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how to solve the problem (I'll certainly think about it), but I can give you a hand with the typesetting. You can click on each of the expressions below to see the TeX code that produced them.

[tex]D^{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]D_{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} (-1)^k {n \choose k} (n - k)![/tex]

What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of a set of objects in a specific order. It is often denoted by the symbol "n!" and represents the number of different ways in which a set of n objects can be arranged.

What are consecutive numbers?

Consecutive numbers are numbers that follow each other in a sequence, with a difference of 1 between each number. For example, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are consecutive numbers.

What is the significance of having no consecutive numbers in a permutation?

Having no consecutive numbers in a permutation means that each number in the arrangement is not next to or adjacent to another number in the same sequence. This restriction can often lead to a more complex and challenging permutation problem.

What are some real-life applications of permutations with no consecutive numbers?

Permutations with no consecutive numbers can be applied in scheduling and planning tasks, such as creating a non-repetitive work schedule or arranging a seating plan for an event. It can also be used in designing lottery systems or creating unique passwords.

What strategies can be used to solve permutations with no consecutive numbers?

Some strategies for solving permutations with no consecutive numbers include using the principle of inclusion and exclusion, breaking the problem into smaller sub-problems, and using mathematical formulas or algorithms specifically designed for this type of permutation problem. Experimenting with different arrangements and patterns can also be helpful in finding a solution.