Perpendicular line to the Surface

In summary, a vector parametric equation for the line perpendicular to the surface z=x^2+y^2 at the point where x=-1 and y=2 is L(t) = <-1,2,0> + t<-2,4,-1>. However, when x=-1 and y=2, z is not equal to zero, which was a mistake in the original attempt.
τheory

Homework Statement

Consider the line perpendicular to the surface [itex]z=x^2+y^2[/itex] at the point where x = −1 and y = 2 Find a vector parametric equation for this line in terms of the parameter t.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't quite sure how to go about with this problem so I just went along with the following ideas. I first took the gradient of the function at that point:

[itex]0=x^2+y^2-z[/itex]
[itex]∇F(x,y,z)= <2x,2y,-1>[/itex]
[itex]∇F(-1,2,0)= <-2,4,-1>[/itex]

Then I constructed the vector parametric equation of the line at that point:

[itex]L(t) = P + t∇F[/itex]
[itex]L(t) = <-1,2,0> + t<-2,4,-1>[/itex]

Afterwards, I submitted this equation, only finding that it was incorrect; can someone explain to me what went wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
When ##x=-1## and ##y=2##, ##z## isn't zero.

Wow haha that was a horrible miscalculation on my part. Thanks for pointing that out! :redface:

1. What does it mean for a line to be perpendicular to a surface?

When a line is perpendicular to a surface, it means that the line intersects the surface at a 90-degree angle. In other words, the line is completely vertical or straight up and down in relation to the surface.

2. How do you determine if a line is perpendicular to a surface?

To determine if a line is perpendicular to a surface, you can use a protractor to measure the angle between the line and the surface. If the angle measures 90 degrees, then the line is perpendicular. Another method is to use the slope of the line and the slope of the surface. If the two slopes are negative reciprocals of each other, then the line is perpendicular to the surface.

3. What is the importance of perpendicular lines to the surface in math and science?

Perpendicular lines to the surface play a crucial role in many mathematical and scientific concepts. They are used in geometry to construct right angles and in trigonometry to calculate the sine and cosine of angles. In science, perpendicular lines are used to represent forces and directions in physics and to describe the shape and orientation of molecules in chemistry.

4. Can a line be perpendicular to a curved surface?

Yes, a line can be perpendicular to a curved surface. In this case, the line is perpendicular to the tangent line of the curve at the point of intersection. The tangent line is a straight line that touches the curve at only one point and has the same direction as the curve at that point.

5. How do perpendicular lines to the surface relate to surface area and volume?

Perpendicular lines to the surface are important in calculating surface area and volume. In geometry, perpendicular lines are used to calculate the height of 3D shapes, which is necessary to find the surface area and volume of the shape. In calculus, perpendicular lines are used to find the surface area of a curved surface by taking the integral of the length of the perpendicular lines over the surface.