Ordinary matrix-vector multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses the function <v,w>=v^tPw and its definition as an inner product if and only if p_{11} and det(P) are both strictly positive. The function takes a pair of 2x1 column vectors as inputs and outputs a real number, making its domain R^2xR^2.
Treadstone 71
Let [tex]P=(p_{ij})[/tex] be a real symmetric 2x2 matrix. Show that the function on [tex]\mathbb{R}^2\times\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] (Where R^2 is a space of column vectors) defined by [tex]<v,w>=v^tPw[/tex] is an inner product if and only if [tex]p_{11}[/tex] and [tex]det(P)[/tex] are both swtrictly positive.

I just need to know what [tex]Pw[/tex] means in [tex]<v,w>=v^tPw[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Ordinary matrix-vector multiplication.

I see. I thought it was "P of w".

This function doesn't send vectors to scalars, it can't be an inner product, unless I understood something wrong.

v and w are 1x2 column vectors, right? So why is this function on R^2xR^2? Isn't it defined on the vector space R^2?

Treadstone 71 said:
v and w are 1x2 column vectors, right? So why is this function on R^2xR^2? Isn't it defined on the vector space R^2?

they're 2x1, but there are two of them. This function takes a pair of vectors, (v,w) and gives a real number, so the domain is R^2xR^2.

v is in R2, w is in R2 so (v, w) is in R2 x R2.

1. What is ordinary matrix-vector multiplication?

Ordinary matrix-vector multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix (a rectangular array of numbers) by a vector (a one-dimensional array of numbers). This results in a new vector, where each element is a linear combination of the rows of the matrix using the corresponding elements of the vector.

2. How is ordinary matrix-vector multiplication different from matrix-matrix multiplication?

The main difference between ordinary matrix-vector multiplication and matrix-matrix multiplication is the dimensions of the two operands. For ordinary matrix-vector multiplication, the matrix must have the same number of columns as the length of the vector. In matrix-matrix multiplication, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix.

3. What is the purpose of performing ordinary matrix-vector multiplication?

Ordinary matrix-vector multiplication is used in many areas of science and engineering, including computer graphics, economics, and physics. It allows us to apply a linear transformation to a vector, which is useful in solving systems of linear equations, modeling real-world situations, and analyzing data.

4. Are there any limitations to ordinary matrix-vector multiplication?

One limitation of ordinary matrix-vector multiplication is that it can only be performed on matrices and vectors that have compatible dimensions. Additionally, the resulting vector will also have the same length as the original vector, which may not always be desirable.

5. How can I efficiently perform ordinary matrix-vector multiplication?

One efficient way to perform ordinary matrix-vector multiplication is by using a computer program or calculator. Many programming languages have built-in functions for matrix operations, making it easy to perform this operation on large datasets. Additionally, there are optimized algorithms that can be used to speed up the calculation process.