Proving a set of matrices is NOT a vector space

In summary, to prove that a set of matrices is not a vector space, you must show that at least one of the eight vector space axioms is violated. The eight vector space axioms are closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, commutativity of addition, associativity of addition, existence of additive identity, existence of additive inverse, distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over scalar addition. However, a set of matrices can be a vector space if it satisfies all eight axioms. A counterexample is an example that disproves a statement or hypothesis, and in this context, it would be a specific set of matrices that violates one of the axioms. It is not possible for
jcw0616

Homework Statement

Show that the following is NOT a vector space:
{(a, 1) | a, b, c, ∈ ℝ}
{(b, c)

Note: this is is meant to be a 2x2 matrix. This may not have been clear in how I formatted it.

2. The attempt at a solution
I am self-studying linear algebra, and have had a difficulty conceptualizing/interpreting what a vector space actually is. However, to show that the set of all matrices of the form above is NOT a vector space, I subjected it to the addition/multiplication conditions. For example, the condition v+w ∈ V:
(a, 1) + (p, 1) = (a+p, 2)
(b, c) + (q, r) = (b+q, c+r)

The sum of the two matrices yields a matrix NOT of the original form, with 1 in the a_1,2 position. Does this prove that the set is not a vector space? Have I correctly interpreted the purpose of this problem as: "Show that one of the vector space conditions does not give back a matrix with the same form as the original matrix (a, 1, b, c)"?
Another way I interpreted the question was: "Find a way to make a, b, or c NOT a real number." However, I could not think of a way to transform them into an imaginary number without using a scalar r ∉ ℝ.

My book gives many examples of what vector spaces are, or can be, but leaves it up to the reader to infer what does not constitute a vector space.

So, have I correctly solved the problem? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated! No answers, please. :)

Thanks a lot,
Jordan

Physics news on Phys.org
jcw0616 said:

Homework Statement

{(a, 1) | a, b, c, ∈ ℝ}
{(b, c)

Note: this is is meant to be a 2x2 matrix. This may not have been clear in how I formatted it.

I am self-studying linear algebra, and have had a difficulty conceptualizing/interpreting what a vector space actually is. However, to show that the set of all matrices of the form above is NOT a vector space, I subjected it to the addition/multiplication conditions. For example, the condition v+w ∈ V:

The sum of the two matrices yields a matrix NOT of the original form, with 1 in the a_1,2 position. Does this prove that the set is not a vector space?

Yes. That's all you needed. Even just the first equation was enough.

jcw0616 said:

Homework Statement

{(a, 1) | a, b, c, ∈ ℝ}
{(b, c)

The sum of the two matrices yields a matrix NOT of the original form, with 1 in the a_1,2 position. Does this prove that the set is not a vector space? Have I correctly interpreted the purpose of this problem as: "Show that one of the vector space conditions does not give back a matrix with the same form as the original matrix (a, 1, b, c)"?
Another way I interpreted the question was: "Find a way to make a, b, or c NOT a real number." However, I could not think of a way to transform them into an imaginary number without using a scalar r ∉ ℝ.

My book gives many examples of what vector spaces are, or can be, but leaves it up to the reader to infer what does not constitute a vector space.

So, have I correctly solved the problem? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated! No answers, please. :)

Thanks a lot,
Jordan

Yes, your argument is correct. Also: a vector space must contain the zero vector, which your set of matrices does not.

1. How do you prove that a set of matrices is not a vector space?

To prove that a set of matrices is not a vector space, you must show that at least one of the eight vector space axioms is violated. This can be done by providing a counterexample or by showing that one of the axioms is not satisfied by the set of matrices.

2. What are the eight vector space axioms?

The eight vector space axioms are closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, commutativity of addition, associativity of addition, existence of additive identity, existence of additive inverse, distributivity of scalar multiplication over addition, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over scalar addition.

3. Can a set of matrices be a vector space?

Yes, a set of matrices can be a vector space if it satisfies all eight vector space axioms. This means that the set of matrices is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and follows the other six axioms.

4. What is a counterexample?

A counterexample is an example that disproves a statement or hypothesis. In the context of proving a set of matrices is not a vector space, a counterexample would be a specific set of matrices that violates one of the eight vector space axioms.

5. Can a set of matrices satisfy some vector space axioms and not others?

No, in order for a set of matrices to be a vector space, it must satisfy all eight vector space axioms. If even one axiom is violated, the set of matrices is not considered a vector space.