Maximizing Forum Settings: How to Stay Updated on Comments and Tag Users

• Thread starter InkySquid
  • Start date
In summary, a new member of the forum asks for help in subscribing to comments by other members and tagging people for new comments. They are directed to the "Thread Tools" link to subscribe to a thread, but it is not possible to be notified when someone posts. The member expresses gratitude and mentions their interest in tracking new issues. They are then informed about the "Stalk" button and reminded to practice using the forum features.
InkySquid
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I don't know the different settings. Please help. How do you subscribe to comments by members? I navigated around, and saw you could add people as friends, or subscribe to threads, but can you tag people so you know new comments coming from them? I'm sorry if the answer's given. Please tell me where to get it. Thanks much! Nice to meet everyone.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Click the "Thread Tools" link that is located at the top of the first post; there's a "Subscribe to this Thread" option there.

Note this way you are tagging thread, not people. As far as I know it is not possible to be notified when someone posts, although you can easily check all posts by someone manually.

But then, each day I am shown something new...

Borek said:
Note this way you are tagging thread, not people. As far as I know it is not possible to be notified when someone posts, although you can easily check all posts by someone manually.

Thank you! I don't know about these ever-increasing features, and though I should take the time to learn, I'm always opting for a quicker way - ask! :)

Some people have really interesting answers, so just thought I could track new issues if possible. Gracias.

lisab said:
Click the "Thread Tools" link that is located at the top of the first post; there's a "Subscribe to this Thread" option there.

Thank you!

Borek said:

Oh, a "Stalk" button! :devil:

InkySquid said:
Thank you! I don't know about these ever-increasing features, and though I should take the time to learn, I'm always opting for a quicker way - ask! :)
Practice makes perfect. :wink:

1. What are the common settings used in scientific experiments?

The most common settings used in scientific experiments include control variables, independent variables, and dependent variables. Control variables are kept constant throughout the experiment, while independent variables are manipulated by the researcher. Dependent variables are the outcomes that are measured.

2. How do you determine the appropriate settings for an experiment?

The appropriate settings for an experiment depend on the research question and the variables being studied. It is important to carefully design the experiment and consider factors such as sample size, control variables, and potential confounding variables.

3. Can settings affect the outcome of an experiment?

Yes, the settings used in an experiment can greatly affect the outcome. It is important to carefully select and control the settings to ensure accurate and reliable results. Improper settings can lead to biased or inaccurate conclusions.

4. What is the difference between experimental and control settings?

Experimental settings refer to the conditions that are manipulated in an experiment, while control settings refer to the conditions that are kept constant throughout the experiment. The control settings are used as a baseline for comparison to determine the effect of the experimental settings.

5. How do you ensure that the settings are consistent throughout the experiment?

To ensure consistency in settings throughout an experiment, it is important to carefully document the procedures used and to follow them accurately. It is also important to use standardized equipment and techniques, and to conduct multiple trials to account for any potential variability in the settings.