Partial Fraction Problem: Solve Quickly - No Quotation Marks

In summary, the conversation discusses a partial fraction problem and different methods for solving it. The first method involves finding the coefficients A, B, C, D, and E by setting up an equation and solving for each variable. The second method involves using a formula to find the coefficients. The conversation also discusses a trick for finding the coefficients by choosing specific values for x and solving for the unknown variables. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a discussion of the most efficient method for solving the partial fraction problem.
hanson
Hi all!
how would you do this partial fraction problem?
[tex]\frac{1}{s(s+1)^3(s+2)}[/tex]

The answer is [tex]\frac{1}{2s}+\frac{1}{2(s+2)}-\frac{1}{s+1}-\frac{1}{(s+1)^3} [/tex]

I know that it can be done by letting
[tex] \frac{1}{s(s+1)^3(s+2)} = \frac{A}{s}+\frac{B}{s+2}+\frac{C}{s+1}+\frac{D}{(s+1)^2}+\frac{E}{(s+1)^3} [/tex] and solve for A,B,C,D and E. I tried and it is very tedious. It is easy to find A, B and E but not for the others.

Can anyone tell me a quicker way to do this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hanson said:
Can anyone tell me a quicker way to do this? Thanks

Sure! Here's a neat trick. Let's derive a formula for the coefficients A, B, C, ... etc.

[tex] f(s) = \frac{1}{s(s+1)^3(s+2)} = \frac{A}{s}+\frac{B}{s+2}+\frac{C}{s+1}+\frac{D}{( s+1)^2}+\frac{E}{(s+1)^3} [/tex]

Now, to solve for B, what if we started by multiplying everything by s+2?

[tex] (s+2)f(s) = \frac{(s+2)}{s(s+1)^3(s+2)} = B + (s+2)\left(\frac{A}{s} +\frac{C}{s+1}+\frac{D}{( s+1)^2}+\frac{E}{(s+1)^3}\right) [/tex]

Now, let's evaluate the expression at s = -2:

[tex] (s+2)f(-2) = \frac{1}{-2(-2+1)^3} = B + (-2+2)\left(\frac{A}{s} +\frac{C}{s+1}+\frac{D}{( s+1)^2}+\frac{E}{(s+1)^3}\right) [/tex]

[tex] (s+2)f(-2) = \frac{1}{-2(-1)^3} = B + 0 [/tex]

[tex] (s+2)f(-2) = \frac{1}{2} = B [/tex]

I think you can see the general trend. To calculate the coefficient of the partial fraction expansion term having (s-a) in the denominator, multiply the original expression by (s-a), and then evaluate the whole thing at s = a.

cepheid said:
Sure! Here's a neat trick. Let's derive a formula for the coefficients A, B, C, ... etc.

[tex] f(s) = \frac{1}{s(s+1)^3(s+2)} = \frac{A}{s}+\frac{B}{s+2}+\frac{C}{s+1}+\frac{D}{( s+1)^2}+\frac{E}{(s+1)^3} [/tex]

Now, to solve for B, what if we started by multiplying everything by s+2?

[tex] (s+2)f(s) = \frac{(s+2)}{s(s+1)^3(s+2)} = B + (s+2)\left(\frac{A}{s} +\frac{C}{s+1}+\frac{D}{( s+1)^2}+\frac{E}{(s+1)^3}\right) [/tex]

Now, let's evaluate the expression at s = -2:

[tex] (s+2)f(-2) = \frac{1}{-2(-2+1)^3} = B + (-2+2)\left(\frac{A}{s} +\frac{C}{s+1}+\frac{D}{( s+1)^2}+\frac{E}{(s+1)^3}\right) [/tex]

[tex] (s+2)f(-2) = \frac{1}{-2(-1)^3} = B + 0 [/tex]

[tex] (s+2)f(-2) = \frac{1}{2} = B [/tex]

I think you can see the general trend. To calculate the coefficient of the partial fraction expansion term having (s-a) in the denominator, multiply the original expression by (s-a), and then evaluate the whole thing at s = a.

Thank Cepheid!
But I still meet a problem when finding, say, C.
Following the trend, I should multipy
[tex]s+1[/tex] or
[tex] (s+1)^3 [/tex] to f(s).

But for the former case, the denominator of [tex](s+1)f(s)=\frac{1}{s(s+1)^2(s+2)}[/tex] tends to infinite when s = -1.

For the latter case, the denominator of [tex](s+1)^3f(s)=\frac{1}{s(s+2)}[/tex] is ok when s = -1 but C is now is stuck with [tex] C(S+1)^2 [/tex].
I still can't get C and D.

Or I missed something? Please point it out.

Last edited:
hanson said:
Thank Cepheid!
But I still meet a problem when finding, say, C.
Following the trend, I should multipy
[tex]s+1[/tex] or
[tex] (s+1)^3 [/tex] to f(s).

But for the former case, the denominator of [tex](s+1)f(s)=\frac{1}{s(s+1)^2(s+2)}[/tex] tends to infinite when s = -1.

For the latter case, the denominator of [tex](s+1)^3f(s)=\frac{1}{s(s+2)}[/tex] is ok when s = -1 but C is now is stuck with [tex] C(S+1)^2 [/tex].
I still can't get C and D.

Or I missed something? Please point it out.
No, I don't think you are missing anything. You can just choose randomly 2 more x's, plus it in the expression, and solve for C, and D using A, B, and E.
Or if you don't want to solve equations, you can rearrange it, and solve for C, and D.
[tex]\frac{1}{s(s + 1)^3 (s + 2)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{B}{s + 2} + \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2} + \frac{E}{(s + 1) ^ 3}[/tex] (1), and you know that:
A = 1 / 2, B = 1 / 2, E = -1, by plugging it in the expression (1), we have:
[tex]\frac{1}{s(s + 1)^3 (s + 2)} = \frac{1}{2s} + \frac{1}{2(s + 2)} + \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2} - \frac{1}{(s + 1) ^ 3}[/tex]
Isolate the unknows:
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} - \frac{1}{2s} - \frac{1}{2(s + 2)} + \frac{1}{(s + 1) ^ 3} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{2 - (s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2) - s(s + 1) ^ 3 + 2s(s + 2)}{2s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{2 - (s + 1) ^ 3 ((s + 2) + s) + 2s(s + 2)}{2s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{2 - 2 (s + 1) ^ 4 + 2s(s + 2)}{2s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{2 (1 - (s + 1) ^ 4) + 2s(s + 2)}{2s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{2 (1 - (s + 1) ^ 2) (1 + (s + 1) ^ 2) + 2s(s + 2)}{2s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{2 (1 - (s + 1)) (1 + (s + 1)) (1 + (s + 1) ^ 2) + 2s(s + 2)}{2s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{-2s (s + 2) (1 + (s + 1) ^ 2) + 2s(s + 2)}{2s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{-2s (s + 2) (s + 1) ^ 2}{2s(s + 1) ^ 3 (s + 2)} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow -\frac{1}{(s + 1) ^ 2} = \frac{C}{s + 1} + \frac{D}{(s + 1) ^ 2}[/tex]. From here, one can say that C = 0, and D = -1.
However, I think it's damn long, and solving equations may be faster.
--------------
Now, why don't you do the first way, by plugging 2 more x's in and solve equations, to see if you can arrive at the same answer?
You can go from here, right? :)

Last edited:

1. What is a partial fraction problem?

A partial fraction problem involves breaking down a rational expression into simpler fractions. It is often used in algebra and calculus to simplify complex equations.

2. How do I solve a partial fraction problem?

To solve a partial fraction problem, you need to follow a step-by-step process. First, factor the denominator of the rational expression. Then, write the expression as a sum of simpler fractions. Finally, determine the unknown coefficients by comparing the coefficients of the simplified expression with the original expression.

3. What is the purpose of solving a partial fraction problem quickly?

Solving a partial fraction problem quickly can save time and effort when working on more complex equations. It also allows you to understand the underlying principles and concepts more clearly, which can aid in solving more challenging problems.

4. Can I solve a partial fraction problem without using quotation marks?

Yes, you can solve a partial fraction problem without using quotation marks. Quotation marks are not necessary for solving the problem, but they may be used when writing out the final solution to indicate that it is a fraction.

5. What are some tips for quickly solving partial fraction problems?

Some tips for quickly solving partial fraction problems include practicing with different types of problems, familiarizing yourself with common patterns and techniques, and breaking down larger problems into smaller parts. It is also helpful to double check your work and simplify your final solution as much as possible.