Find a Cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler for LED Projects

In summary, the conversation was about finding a cheap uP or uC start kit for practicing C and assembly language, specifically for lighting up LEDs. The conversation recommended the AVR butterfly from Atmel and the PIC series from Microchip, both with free compilers available. The cheapest option mentioned was the Basic Stamp series from Parallax. Ultimately, the speaker decided to purchase a $36 start kit from Microchip.
meldave00
Hi,

I'm looking for a very cheap uP start kit that I can practice c language and perhaps assembly language on. I want to light up led's and stuff like that. Can anyone direct me to a good url to find one I can purchase.

I'm interested in the software (compiler), etc. too.

regards,

meldave

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not sure if you mean uC as in microcontroller as I havn't personally heard of uP before. But if it is infact a uC you are looking for, try the AVR butterfly made by atmel. Here is a link: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3146

The development software (avr studio) is a free download from Atmel.

Triden,

Thanks for the response. Stupid question...Would you happen to know how I write C language with this? That is, how do I program this thing? Is there a c compiler that comes with this?

uP is shorthand for microprocessor. A uP would be more commonly used in general computing applications, like in a PC. A uC is a uP with IO funtionality, typically, and fewer memory interface functions.

I like the PIC series of uCs. Check them out, as well as development boards and compilers at Microchip's website. I'm pretty sure that there are free compilers available for them, and the MPLab ICD tool is fairly inexpensive:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=81

The cheapest uCs to play with are probably the Basic Stamp series from Parallax, but I don't know if you can program them in C:

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/basicstamps/basic_stamps.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a $36 start kit that I'm going to purchase from Microchip. Thanks

1. What is a uP Starter Kit and Compiler?

A uP (microcontroller) Starter Kit and Compiler is a package that includes all the necessary hardware and software tools for developing and programming microcontroller-based projects. It typically includes a development board, a programmer, and a compiler software.

2. Why is it important to find a cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler?

Finding a cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler is important because it allows for cost-effective prototyping and testing of microcontroller projects. It also makes it more accessible for students and hobbyists to learn and experiment with microcontrollers.

3. Where can I find a cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler?

You can find a cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler online from various electronic retailers or auction sites. You can also check with your local electronics stores for any discounted or promotional offers on these kits.

4. What features should I look for in a cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler?

When looking for a cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler, some important features to consider are the compatibility with your preferred microcontroller, the number and type of input/output pins, and the availability of necessary software and documentation for programming and troubleshooting.

5. Can I use a cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler for LED projects?

Yes, a cheap uP Starter Kit and Compiler can be used for LED projects as long as it includes the necessary components such as a development board with built-in LED pins and a compiler software that supports programming for LEDs. It is always recommended to check the kit's specifications before purchasing to ensure compatibility with your project needs.