How can I prove the inequality A(B-A) <= (B/2)^2 for 0 <= A <= B?

• Thread starter ausdreamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the problem asks to prove that A(B-A) is less than or equal to (B/2)^2 when 0 <= A <= B. The suggested approach is to open the brackets and take all the terms to one side to simplify the equation. The conditions 0 <= A <= B are essential for this proof because it involves a geometric interpretation. The cases where A = 0 and A = B are trivial.
ausdreamer

Homework Statement

If 0 <= A <= B, prove that: A(B-A) <= (B/2)^2

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been blindly rearranging the terms trying to see a way to prove this but due to my complete lack of experience in proofs, I'm hoping someone here can give a little push in a helpful direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
try opening the brackets and taking all the terms to one side. it'll become square of a number.
but i dnt understand how 0>=a>=b are essential conditions for this. square of any real no would always be positive

sry i typed the inequality wrong

The cases where [itex]A = 0[/itex] and [itex] A = B[/itex] should be obvious. For the rest, [itex]0 < A < B[/itex], think geometrically.

As a scientist, the first step in proving this inequality is to define the variables. In this case, A and B represent any real numbers, with the added constraint that A must be less than or equal to B. This means that A and B can be positive, negative, or zero, but A must always be less than or equal to B. Now, we can rewrite the inequality as:

A(B-A) ≤ (B/2)^2

Next, we can expand the right side of the inequality by squaring the expression:

A(B-A) ≤ B^2/4

Now, let's consider the left side of the inequality. We can use the distributive property to expand the expression:

A(B-A) = AB - A^2

Since A is less than or equal to B, we know that A^2 is less than or equal to AB. This means that AB - A^2 will always be positive or zero. Therefore, we can rewrite the left side of the inequality as:

A(B-A) ≤ AB

Now, we can substitute this into our original inequality to get:

AB ≤ B^2/4

Since we know that A is less than or equal to B, we can divide both sides of the inequality by B to get:

A ≤ B/4

Finally, since we know that A is greater than or equal to 0 (given in the problem statement), we can divide both sides by A to get:

1 ≤ B/4A

Since A is greater than or equal to 0, 4A must also be greater than or equal to 0. Therefore, we can multiply both sides by 4A without changing the direction of the inequality:

4A ≤ B

And since A is less than or equal to B, we know that this inequality is always true. Therefore, we have proven that A(B-A) ≤ (B/2)^2 for 0 ≤ A ≤ B.

Related to How can I prove the inequality A(B-A) <= (B/2)^2 for 0 <= A <= B?

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, ≥. It shows the relationship between the two quantities, indicating which value is greater or lesser.

How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you must show that one side of the inequality is always greater or lesser than the other side. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations, graphing the inequality, or providing numerical examples.

What are the common methods for proving an inequality?

There are several methods for proving an inequality, including the direct method, the contrapositive method, the contradiction method, and the mathematical induction method. Each method uses a different approach to show that one side of the inequality is always greater or lesser than the other.

Can you use the same methods for proving all types of inequalities?

While the basic principles of proving inequalities remain the same, different types of inequalities may require different methods. For example, absolute value inequalities may require the use of the triangle inequality or the definition of absolute value.

What are some tips for successfully proving an inequality?

Some tips for proving an inequality include understanding the properties of inequalities, carefully choosing the appropriate method for the given inequality, and being organized and clear in your steps and logic. It is also important to check your work and consider special cases when proving an inequality.