How are the cells (say 2V) of a typical lead acid battery connected

In summary, connecting cells in series increases the voltage by combining the individual pressures of each cell. In contrast, connecting cells in parallel does not increase voltage, but rather increases the overall strength of the battery. The concept of cells in parallel is similar to capacitors in series and parallel. Car batteries have 6 cells connected in series to provide 12 volts, not in parallel. There may be a misunderstanding in the original question about the connection of cells in parallel.
devomiddel
How are the cells (say 2V) of a typical lead acid battery connected in series to increase voltage to 12V when all the neg. plates are connected together and all the positive plates are connected together which as I understand is the principle of connecting two batteries in parallel (pos. terminal to pos. terminal and neg. terminal to neg. terminal) which does NOT increase voltage, only capacity ?? For sure I'm missing a basic concept.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Think of voltage as electrical pressure - with all the 2v cells in a row the pressures ad up to give a lot more pressure but only the strength of a single cell. With the cells in parallel it's just like one big cell so they only have one lot of pressure but much more strength.

A good way to think of cells in parallel is to just think of joining the plates of the cell together. If you made the plate twice as big, or made two plates the same size and welded them together, or made two plates the same size and connected them with a wire = the same thing

mbg, this sound a lot like a capacitor. Am I taking their similarities too far? I'm realizing we never studied cells in either EE or physics.

No, it's also a good way of picturing capacitors in series and parallel

How are the cells (say 2V) of a typical lead acid battery connected in series to increase voltage to 12V when all the neg. plates are connected together and all the positive plates are connected together

The car battery has 6 separate cells in it and they are internally connected in series.
They then bring the two end connections out for you to use.

They are NOT connected in parallel.

devomiddel said:
How are the cells (say 2V) of a typical lead acid battery connected in series to increase voltage to 12V

With the explanations above I still don't understand how wiring in parallel would increase the voltage to 12v? I thought you could only raise the voltage if you wired in series?

For vk6kro's car battery example all six cells would be supplying 12 volts in parallel, not 2, correct?

MacLaddy said:
With the explanations above I still don't understand how wiring in parallel would increase the voltage to 12v?
It doesn't - all the examples are describing how to connect them in series.
I was explaining that if you conected them in parallel it was no different to a single cell and so no change in voltage

Oh, I think there must be some miscommunication from the op's original question, because it sounded like they were describing a system in parallel.

It's all new to me.

The OP is wrong in thinking that all the plates are connected in parallel in a car battery they are connected in series to increase the voltage.

1. How are the cells of a typical lead acid battery connected?

The cells of a typical lead acid battery are connected in series, meaning that the positive terminal of one cell is connected to the negative terminal of the next cell, and so on. This creates a chain of cells where the total voltage is the sum of the individual cell voltages.

2. How many cells are usually in a lead acid battery?

The number of cells in a lead acid battery can vary, but most commonly there are 6 cells connected in series. This results in a battery with a total voltage of 12 volts.

3. What is the voltage of each cell in a lead acid battery?

The voltage of each cell in a lead acid battery is typically around 2 volts. This can vary depending on the specific battery and its state of charge.

4. Are there any other ways to connect the cells of a lead acid battery?

Yes, there are other ways to connect the cells of a lead acid battery, such as connecting them in parallel or a combination of series and parallel connections. However, the most common and efficient method is connecting them in series.

5. How does the connection of cells affect the overall performance of a lead acid battery?

The way the cells are connected can greatly impact the overall performance of a lead acid battery. Connecting them in series increases the voltage, while connecting them in parallel increases the capacity. A combination of series and parallel connections can provide a balance of both voltage and capacity. It is important to carefully consider the desired performance when connecting the cells of a lead acid battery.