Crank Slider Mechanism 3d movement question.

In summary: Expert Summarizer.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of how to move a slider left and right by pulling a lever towards or away from the person. Possible solutions include using a cam and follower mechanism, a pulley system, or different types of linkages such as a four-bar or Watt linkage. The person is seeking help and drawings for their project.
benlit2009
Hi.

This maybe common sense to some of you but I am racking my brain to find away to solve this one.

I would like to pull a lever on one axis and move a slider on a different axis .

So by pulling a lever towards me, I move a slider left and right.

Is this possible without ball joints and just a simple mechanism. I can't get my head round it. Made a mockup but there wasnt quite the smooth motion I had anticipated but that might have been the model i made.

Building a basic machine, using scaffolding. So simplifiying everything is a must.

So I need to pull a lever towards me to push a slider left and push the lever away to pull the slider right.

Any help/drawings would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Ben,

Thank you for your post. This is definitely a challenging problem, but there are a few different approaches you could take to achieve this motion.

One option could be to use a cam and follower mechanism. A cam is a rotating piece with a specially shaped profile, and a follower is a piece that follows the profile of the cam. By attaching the lever to the cam and the slider to the follower, you can achieve the desired motion. However, this may require some precision in the design and construction of the cam and follower.

Another option could be to use a pulley system. By attaching a pulley to the lever and another to the slider, you can use a belt or rope to connect the two and achieve the desired motion. This may be a simpler and more versatile solution, but it may also require more space and may not provide as smooth of a motion as the cam and follower method.

I would also recommend looking into different types of linkages, such as a four-bar linkage or a Watt linkage, which could potentially achieve the desired motion as well.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas to explore. Good luck with your project!

Related to Crank Slider Mechanism 3d movement question.

What is a Crank Slider Mechanism?

A crank slider mechanism is a mechanical device that converts rotary motion into linear motion. It consists of a crank, which is a rotating arm, and a slider, which moves in a straight line.

How does a Crank Slider Mechanism work?

The crank slider mechanism works by using the rotary motion of the crank to turn a connecting rod, which in turn moves the slider in a straight line. This movement can be used to power various types of machines and devices.

What are the applications of Crank Slider Mechanisms?

Crank slider mechanisms have a wide range of applications, including in engines, pumps, and other mechanical systems. They are also commonly used in robotics and automation to convert rotational motion into linear motion.

What are the advantages of using a Crank Slider Mechanism?

One of the main advantages of a crank slider mechanism is its simple design and efficient conversion of motion. It is also compact and can be easily incorporated into various mechanical systems. Additionally, it can provide smooth and precise movement.

What are the limitations of a Crank Slider Mechanism?

One limitation of a crank slider mechanism is that it can only produce linear motion in one direction. It also requires precise alignment and lubrication to function properly. Additionally, it may experience wear and tear over time, which can affect its performance.