Finding the acceleration of a variable crank mechanism.

In summary, the conversation discusses a variable crank mechanism and finding the magnitude of its acceleration at a specific instant using equations of motion and polar coordinates. The correct answer is 231.1 m/s^2, which includes both centripetal and tangential components of acceleration. The conversation also references a derivation of acceleration in polar coordinates.
Nickel2115
I've attempted multiple times, but don't really know which way to go and none of them are getting to the answer. I've got the question (below), got it wrong and been told the correct answer.

A variable crank mechanism consists of a slider in a slot which is rotated around an axis at constant speed 120 rev/min. The slider is moving outwards relative to the slot at constant velocity 9 m/s. What is the magnitude of its acceleration (in m/s^2) at the instant when its radius is 0.3 m?

tangential velocity v = ωr

maybe the equations of motion

v^2=u^2 + 2 x a x s

I know i have to convert the speed 120rev/min into rad/s by (120*2∏)/60 = 4∏.
Then a=W^2 x r.
so a = 16 x ∏^2 x 0.3=47.374...

The answer I'm supposed to be getting is 231.1 m/s^2

Attachments

• Crankshaft.png
    Crankshaft.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You've calculated the centripetal component of the acceleration. There is also a tangential component that you will need to find.

Polar coordinates are appropriate for this problem. There are well-known expressions for the components of acceleration in polar coordinates. Are you familiar with them?

Thanks.
I realized there was a tangential acceleration but didn't know the equations for the components of acceleration in polar coordinates.

A derivation of acceleration in polar coordinates is here.

ok I've solver it now thank you

1. What is a variable crank mechanism?

A variable crank mechanism is a device that converts rotational motion into linear motion through the use of a crank and a connecting rod. The length of the crank and the position of the connecting rod can be adjusted to change the motion and speed of the mechanism.

2. Why is it important to find the acceleration of a variable crank mechanism?

Knowing the acceleration of a variable crank mechanism is important in understanding its overall motion and performance. It can also help in optimizing the design and efficiency of the mechanism for a specific application.

3. How is the acceleration of a variable crank mechanism calculated?

The acceleration of a variable crank mechanism can be calculated using the basic formula for acceleration, which is a = (Vf - Vi)/t, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. The values for these variables can be determined through measurements and calculations based on the mechanism's geometry and motion.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a variable crank mechanism?

The acceleration of a variable crank mechanism can be affected by several factors, including the length and position of the crank and connecting rod, the mass and distribution of the moving parts, and external forces such as friction and resistance.

5. How can the acceleration of a variable crank mechanism be measured experimentally?

The acceleration of a variable crank mechanism can be measured experimentally by using a variety of tools and techniques such as accelerometers, video analysis, and data collection software. These methods can provide accurate and precise measurements of the mechanism's acceleration under different conditions.