Why does candyfloss absorb more moisture faster than grain sugar?

• Thread starter kevin_tee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sugar
In summary, Kevin Tee found that if you heat sugar above the boiling point of water, the sugar will adsorb less water. He also found that reducing sugars (from caramelization) can help to make the sugar less sticky.
kevin_tee
Does it have to do with sucrose decompose into glucose and fructose or surface area? Caramelization occurs when sugar start to melt, so does it have to do with caramelization?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you heating your candy floss to caramelization temperature?
Or is it at room temperature?

256bits said:
Are you heating your candy floss to caramelization temperature?
Or is it at room temperature?

I heat it, so it would melt.

How were your tests arranged?
But if you heat these sugars well above boiling temperature of water, there should be less water adsorbed, except you led both sugars cool down and give them time to adsorb water.

ovacs said:
How were your tests arranged?
But if you heat these sugars well above boiling temperature of water, there should be less water adsorbed, except you led both sugars cool down and give them time to adsorb water.

I noticed it when I made candy floss, it becomes sticky after a few minutes.
This can be replicate by melting fine sugar then let it cool and harden, after a few hours it will absorb moisture and dissolve it self.

Without weighing the adsorbed moisture, there can be no serious evaluation what happens. As you write, the surface area is important about the speed of adsorption as diffusion distance is short. But i can not give any clue about the influence of caramelization.

Thank you. But I think that it have to do with fructose and glucose.

kevin_tee,
Originally I was not sure what you were asking about. But now I understand you are asking about the candy becoming gooey from humidity - an important question in the candy making industry where one does not want the candy to become gooey to the touch all too soon, if at all.

Even important in sugar transport, where one does not want the sugar to cake together and become one big lump. For table salt, the processors add calcium silicate to keep the salt crystals free flowing, but for table sugar that most likely does not work, as at home my sugar has been known to lump together ( I don't have a bag of sugar to check for additional ingredients ).

Here,
http://www.thaiscience.info/journals/Article/Effects%20of%20grain%20size,%20reducing%20sugar%20content,%20temperature%20and%20pressure%20on%20caking%20of%20raw%20sugar.pdf
someone has done a bit of research on raw sugar.
They mention temperature, relative humidity, grain size, and the presence of reducing sugars as factors.

Reducing sugars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reducing_sugar
would become syrupy and sticky with moisture, and one has the glucose and fructose acting reducing sugars, present from the caramelization of sucrose.

You can follow those leads and see what the candy industry does to their products to combat stickiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

1. Why does candyfloss absorb more moisture faster than grain sugar?

Candyfloss, also known as cotton candy, is made up of tiny strands of sugar that have been heated and spun into a fluffy texture. This structure allows for a larger surface area compared to grain sugar, which is in the form of small crystals. The increased surface area of candyfloss allows it to absorb moisture more quickly.

2. Does the type of sugar used affect the rate of moisture absorption in candyfloss?

Yes, the type of sugar used can affect the rate of moisture absorption in candyfloss. As mentioned before, the structure of candyfloss plays a significant role in its ability to absorb moisture. Different types of sugar, such as white sugar or brown sugar, have different crystal sizes and structures, which can impact the rate at which they absorb moisture.

3. How does the environment affect the rate of moisture absorption in candyfloss?

The environment can play a significant role in the rate of moisture absorption in candyfloss. High humidity levels can cause candyfloss to absorb moisture faster since there is more moisture in the air for it to absorb. On the other hand, low humidity levels can slow down the rate of moisture absorption in candyfloss.

4. Is the process of making candyfloss responsible for its ability to absorb moisture quickly?

Partially, yes. The process of making candyfloss involves heating and spinning the sugar, which creates its unique fluffy texture. This structure, combined with the use of fine sugar, allows for a larger surface area and faster absorption of moisture. However, it is also important to note that the type of sugar used and the environment also play a role in this process.

5. Can the rate of moisture absorption in candyfloss be slowed down?

Yes, there are ways to slow down the rate of moisture absorption in candyfloss. One way is to store it in an airtight container, which will prevent it from being exposed to high humidity levels. Another way is to add a small amount of cornstarch to the sugar before spinning it, as cornstarch can act as a moisture barrier and slow down the absorption process.